After a busy week I am here to wrap up this weeks big news, both injury and form. My two cents on this weeks captain issues are at the bottom, enjoy! (If anyone needs a bucket after seeing Rooney in this pic I apologise)
- Simpson looks likely to return this weekend against United, as does Cabaye. Could be good news for some, very important players in the make up of Newcastle’s success, especially Cabaye.
- Taylor/Colocinni are both serious doubts this weekend for Newcastle and while Cabaye may bring some structure to their play, a make-up back 4 may have to be implemented… RVP anyone?
- Vertonghen, Bale, Defoe, and Dembele all started their midweek fixture in the Europa league, Dembele being substituted in the 66th. Considering the game was on Thursday they will need to rest well, with Adebayor also stepping up his training levels Defoe may find himself on the bench this week.
- Reid is still recovering from the concussion he suffered last week and is still a doubt for this weekends home game against the Gunners. Certainly be prepared to bench if you have him.
- Williams has recieved an ankle knock and is rated a doubt for this weekend. I have been holding out for these two fixtures so if he goes down injured now I’ll be really jacked off, monitor him aswell and prepare to bench if needed. I’m tipping him to start but that’s just me.
- Richards is continuing his road to recovery and looks close to a return post international break, bad news for Zabaleta owners. However with Man City’s defence being so leaky this may be less of an issue than previously.
- Smalling looks to have recovered from his latest injury setback and may equal bad news for Rafael owners. While he is an exciting prospect if Fergie wants to tighten up he may look towards Smalling, rotation may also come into play. Something to be wary of…
- Mancini will have concerned a lot of owners who have recently traded in Aguero or Silva, after both played the full 90 minutes midweek. He has stated that with an early game 5 or 6 players are likely to be rested, good news for those who have kept Tevez.
- Finally we come to Berbatov. The biggest concern for a lot of owners, he has been rated a 10% chance to play by Martin Jol. Why he didn’t just say he was missing I’m not sure, maybe he’s a chance still? Either way don’t expect him to play but field him just incase, making sure your next best option sits first on the bench.
- Cisse has netted his first goal for a month and it seems likely he will fire soon, he is just too good not to. Manchester United provides the perfect place to do so, I expect to see him back in form sooner rather than later. This could be good or bad news for Ba owners.
- Mata is a big concern for me this weekend, but beyond that he looks gold. After playing 90 minutes he may be in line for a rest against as lowly Norwich at home this week, although they did play on Tuesday so it could go either way. Hazard looks locked on after being rested for the champions league and could fire in place of Mata against Norwich.
- Finally the Rooney-RVP combo may be coming into play for United, after both rescued the 3 points midweek. Rooney assisted both of RVP’s goals and could set the trend to follow, as long as they both start together. If so Kagawa owners may have reason for concern, with Rooney successfully playing in the hole behind Vanners that Kagawa has tried to make his own, without much success.
- Chelsea are finding their stride and after putting 4 past FC Nordsjaelland on Tuesday they are arriving at the Bridge brimming with confidence, watch out Norwich.
- Swansea peaked after GW3, sitting second on the EPL ladder briefly and bagging 9 goals, the most of any team. Now they find themselves struggling to find a goal at all, on the back of 3 consecutive losses and no clean sheets. Surely the goals have to flow against Reading and Wigan at home, it spells the last chance for a lot of their players in our FPL teams…
- Man City are still struggling at the back, with Joe Hart saving their blushes at the moment. Without him they would be conceding 3+ a game, don’t go near their defence! Be wary of any city players for now, wait until they hit their straps, it will have to happen sometime surely!
- Finally we reach Gervinho, who just continues to defy everyone! He has many critics out there but he just keeps scoring, you can’t ask for more than that! After Steve Bould linked him to Henry, as ridiculously as it sounds, they really feel Gervinho could be something special through the middle of the park, which then suggests to me that he will keep his spot there. At 7.4 he seems an absolute steal if he keeps this form up, a viable alternative to Cazorla in my opinion.
With many struggling for captain options this week here’s my two cents. Bale doesn’t convince me this week, not sure why. Hazard is clearly the best safe option, after being rested midweek the home clash against Norwich gives him the perfect opportunity to rekindle his stunning early season form. If you are looking for a POD, Michu is your man. He is my shout this week and after dominating things early this season he looks to have gone quiet. However may I remind you he scored just recently in a cup tie and when Swansea score he usually is amongst the points. Home clashes against Reading and Wigan MUST provide some goals, in which case Michu seems a great shout!
That’s about it from me, good luck this weekend and hopefully all your guns fire!
Anyone wanting to rant about their misfortunes, or slices of luck can do so below in the comments 🙂