After another massive gameweek full of controversy it is time to assess the damage from a round which only averaged 45! Let’s take a look at some of the winners and losers… EDIT: Ivanovic not subject to ban…
Just a note before I get into it, this was one of the most incredible rounds of FPL I have witnessed. The highest scoring player this week managed 12 points!!! Of the little players that broke the 10 point barrier only 2 were owned by more than 2.8%… As you can imagine there are a lot more losers than winners this week so it may be more important to stay strong with who we own and not knee-jerk too much!
- Mata – Yet another classy performance this week from the Spaniard has him at the top of my captains list and should be your highest priority to get in your team. He is essential to Chelsea’s performance and is in incredible form, only benched this week thanks to 2 red cards. Expect more returns in the next few weeks from him, great option.
- Van Persie – Probably the only totally reliable striker option going around at the moment. Is he worth his price tag? In weeks like this, yes… but long term I’m still not sure. Question for you guys at the bottom of the article but either way if you can afford him and can get him without too much trouble then go for it, great player.
- Shawcross/Cameron – Pretty much Stoke’s whole defence is becoming more of a winner. While Wilson was very unlucky this week, Cameron could provide a similar replacement at just 4.5. Shawcross will provide more stability also, either way investment in Stoke’s defence seems essential. Begovic is providing a great option too, their boring style of football will continue to produce clean sheets.
- Ba – Solid, consistent forwards in top form with a certain starting place seem hard to come by. At just 8.4 Ba continues to offer a very solid option upfront and so far I am happy with my investment in him. Be wary of his injury he seemed to sustain on Sunday, perhaps hold off until we get more concrete news. Great option nonetheless.
- Sagna – After digging deep to find a 5th winner this week I have come to Bakary. He sent a timely reminder to us all of his quality and consistency against QPR and should lock down the RB role for now. With Arsenal’s easy fixtures (barring this weekend) and a first up clean sheet with Sagna’s presence he could provide great value at just 5.4, watchlist for sure.
Yep, that’s all I could find. If there’s any others just let me know, now for the never ending list…
- Jenkinson – With Sagna‘s return to first team action Jenkinson’s run has come to an end, a fair run at that. However as I have warned all season Sagna was always going to challenge for his place, the time has come for you to dump him. Enjoy the nice price rise you earned though.
- Ivanovic – His sending off would have just about been the nail in the coffin for many managers this week, a score of -2 nothing less than horrific. I traded him out just a week earlier (genius) and the time may have come for you guys to do the same. While he is NOT subject to a ban during EPL fixtures, his tough run of fixtures no longer justifies his 7.2 price tag, he’s been great though. He will be sure to pick up investment once again at some point this season, but for now I believe he is eating up your budget…
- Torres – El Nino has been very up and down this season. One week I’m regretting selling him the next I am reminded why I did so in the first place. His (unlucky) sending off will not cost him a ban in the EPL, rather the upcoming league cup match. He will not miss any matches so if you can hold the faith then don’t feel you need to jerk him out just yet…
- Gervinho – After I had predicted like many that he would start this week he was resigned to the bench after Wilshire‘s return. With Walcott surely pushing for first team selection Gervinho can no longer be considered a safe option, if an option at all.
- Cazorla – What a loser. The Spaniard has endured a tough couple of weeks and his performances have been well below his high par. I am not so sure that he justifies his high price tag, he doesn’t look like he will consistently threaten the goal. His miss from 12 yards compounded that against QPR. His inconsistencies make him a very risky captain’s choice… However it might just be going along with Arsenal’s dip in form, I can’t make a final decision just yet so I suggest we all hold.
- Ben Arfa – A few consecutive blanks has me thinking, along with many others that he is not the right option for our fantasy teams. While I tend to agree Newcastle’s fixtures look to inviting and he is the type of player that can turn it on at any moment, I will be giving him another couple of weeks for sure.
- Podolski – I sold him off last week as I do not believe Wenger is suiting his playing style, he just doesn’t look comfortable out on the wing. He is rarely spotted during games and there are many other options that will be more lucrative. (Crouch, Ba, Berbatov)
- Cazorla – While he has had a poor few weeks, we only have to look at Bale to see how quickly things can turn around. Don’t go jerking him out straight away to only see him come back and punish you, give him a few more weeks I say…
- Torres – Same deal here, you have picked him to travel through his ups and downs and he is providing them in Spades. A trip to Swansea could spark him back to life, as could a home fixture against his old club Liverpool. He was also very unlucky not to be on the scoresheet against United, De Gea providing some brilliance to keep him out. I can’t stress this enough, he won’t miss any games due to his red card so I say hold!
- Ben Arfa – Just as I said before he is the type of player that can light up a game in an instant, give him a couple more weeks to produce. I just can’t see any other mid price midfielders that will provide a better option over the next few weeks…
- Baird – Bairdinho has been on fire of late, scoring 2 in his last 2 games. However I must stress that in his previous 113 appearances for the club he had only scored twice before. In the near future I can only see one clean sheet, Sunderland (H). They also face a visit from free scoring Everton, a trip to Arsenal and a trip to Stoke. That’s followed by a trip to Chelsea, then visits from Spurs and Newcastle. I don’t feel his goal scoring exploits are sustainable and his fixtures are not that enticing, I would be leaning towards Stoke defenders! If you’re desperate for a cheap defender (not Stoke) then look no further than Cuellar, solid fixtures and a solid (boring) team at just 4.5 he provides great value.
- Nolan – Kevin has been fantastic this season but with their fixtures stiffening right up I’m not sure how effective he will be. This knee-jerk goes both ways, I don’t feel people should trade him now just yet as I feel West Ham are good enough to sneak at least one past good teams at home where Nolan thrives. He can be easily benched for away trips so he could still be used effectively. However this next couple of months won’t be his most fruitful, so to the 140000 (wtf!) managers that waited until the end of his easy fixtures to trade him in, I feel there could be better options to bring in over the next month or so (i.e. Walters, Fellaini, Morrison, Lallana). Hold if you have him, but don’t trade him in!
- Defoe – If you have him I personally think you shouldn’t. If you have just traded him in I think you are crazy. He is very on and off, not to mention the upcoming threat of Adebayor. While he has been mostly forgotten he seems to have recovered from his injury and will surely challenge for a first team birth. Not only will Defoe’s starting berth come under threat, he doesn’t even score bonus points anyway. Guys like Berbatov, Ba or Crouch will provide much better options. I am talking to the 50000+ managers last week (and another 20000 so far this week) who have just traded him in, don’t. I don’t feel he is sustainable and there are far better options out there…
Quick question again for you guys, do you see RVP as a must have??
That’s it for this week, a lot to take in. Good luck with any trades you make, my suggestion is that we all hold off our urge to trade people after weeks like this, not many people are screaming pick me! Let’s hope next week proves to be more kind to us 🙂