So here we go again! Another quick turnaround see’s us having to make another captaincy selection. Congratulations to those who captained Bale. RVP and Mata also did well for most. Those who went Michu, lesson learnt. Stick with the guns! Let’s take a look at who makes the top 5 this weekend…
Benteke – I’ll start it off with a typical smoky. A home game against Wigan will provide a struggling Aston Villa the perfect chance for a victory. I reckon they will bounce back after an aggregate of 0-12 over the past 2 weeks. They will be keen to gain some goal difference back and Benteke could be good for a goal or two.
Chicharito – A lot of people will be looking at bringing him in for this weekend and he may be a good captaincy shout too. West Brom could get a pounding at Old Trafford and Hernandez loves a goal. However he is still a risk, more than half his goals have come from the bench. While starting he has scored just twice in 5 games, don’t lock him in for a goal. A great shout for sure but still risky.
Silva – Don’t go anywhere near him. I wouldn’t want to have him in my team anyway, an average of just over 4 points per game isn’t good enough at his price. Guys like Bale, Mata and Cazorla smash that. Even Gerrard looks more likely. An away trip to Norwich will test City and I expect a tight game. No captains in that one.
Walcott – A good shout this weekend, Theo could play upfront once more and a home game against Newcastle should hold goals aplenty. Walcott has gained attacking returns in 5 of his 6 starts this season and is a massive chance to continue that trend on Saturday. A great captaincy risk.
Tevez – Once again avoid. I reckon he will start from the bench this weekend and is going through a real tough patch. I’m sure he will bounce back at some stage but one to avoid at least until January.
Begovic – Just thought I’d throw in a curve ball. A home game against Southampton should gift Stoke yet another clean sheet. They have conceded just 3 at home in 9 games at the Britannia and if you are lacking a captain option this should be a safe 6 points. However you shouldn’t be lacking a captain option this week hence we don’t need to go any further.
Berbatov – If you held faith in the Bulgarian then a home game against Swansea should give him some chances to get back to his best form. Ruiz is back so there are no excuses. Fulham have also averaged over 2 goals a game at home so he looks a great shout this gameweek. I wouldn’t though…
Gerrard – I’ve talked plenty about him as a fantasy option this week and a trip to QPR will give him a chance to prove his worth. Probably not reliable enough to give him the armband yet but he is showing signs of his old brilliance.
Walters – If you manage to still have him, congratulations. A home game against Southampton will give him a great opportunity to continue his good form, once again however much better options out there.
Taarabt – Toss a 10 sided die and guess a number. If you get it right, captain Taarabt. That explains a lot really, so inconsistent it’s ridiculous. Massive roll of the dice to captain him, but a big upside if he clicks.
1. Van Persie – Once again I reckon he’s a lock if you have him. You will get the occasional week where a guy like Bale can go big but it won’t happen often. RVP is almost a sure thing for another solid points haul and a very safe captain option. As I said last week risks don’t usually pay off at this time of the season, rotation can bite even when we don’t expect it. RVP is a first XI certainty.
2. Bale – Has to be here knowing what ability he has. Unstoppable at his best and he is certainly in form currently, he usually goes on with it for a few weeks also. Infact twice this season he has gone on a run of 3 consecutive games with a goal, as I say, he could dominate the next couple of games. Sunderland will be at his mercy and while he is always a chance for a goal, RVP is a much safer option this week. I don’t expect another hat-trick that’s for sure.
3. Cazorla – A home game against Newcastle will give the Spanish maestro another chance for a good points haul. He averages 9.25 points a game when Arsenal win and this should be the case on Saturday. Expect returns but still a risky option. RVP has similar potential will much less risk. For those without RVP, Cazorla is a great shout.
4. Mata – The only reason he is down in 4 is rotation risk. I think he could be at Benitez’s mercy this weekend and it is him or Moses who will make way for Hazard. I expect Mata to play but the risk is too great for me, a big chance to score points nonetheless.
5. Suarez – Finally Suarez sneaks into the top 5 on the back of a surprise assist against Stoke. I hope he is refinding his form and a trip to QPR should hold points for him. Better options around but a great POD captaincy option if you want to risk it.
That’s this gameweek from me. Look out for Seags preview and Liam’s injury wrap tomorrow. Good luck for the gameweek ahead and I’ll be back for some advice and banter just prior to deadline! Hope you all enjoyed, let me know what you think in the comments below! Cheers.