Hi there and welcome to a weekly article I will be doing in which I will analyze the latest injuries, team news and, for a short time, the latest transfer rumors. Let’s get stuck into it!
- Shaw has gone from very doubtful for the season opener against West Brom to facing a fitness test. Follow closely! Whilst fellow youngster, Clyne should also be facing a late fitness test to determine whether he is available for selection. Both a risk for this week but should be right to go for Gw2.
- Skrtel is in serious doubt against Stoke to open the campaign after injuring his knee. He was quoted saying “It’s nothing serious but when I put full weight on the knee or I kick the ball, it hurts a lot”.
- Sturridge played in a ‘behind closed doors’ friendly on Wednesday against Newcastle United and scored two goals. He is facing a race against time to prove his fitness for the season proper. He hasn’t seen any proper pre-season action so it would be risky picking him! He said after the game “I’m fit and good to go. If I’m selected against Stoke then I’ll be ready. I didn’t think I’d be as sharp as I was to be honest”. I’ll back him in.
- Liverpool summer signing, Aspas copped a knock in the warm-up on the weekend but nothing at all serious, should be right for the opener against Stoke… If he starts!
- West Ham big man, Collins is in doubt to face newly promoted Cardiff with a knee injury. Is currently being assessed but is not looking likely to start the season.
- The most talked about and speculated about transfer this year, Bale is in serious doubt for this weekend’s match against Crystal Palace – if not sold. If still in the Premier League he may miss up to a month! Although a seriously light pre-season, not making one appearance, will not have helped his preparation. I’ll be waiting to see if he’s 100% and back to his dominant best before I bring him in. AVB has confirmed he’ll miss the first 3 weeks.
- After copping a knock on his Ankle at an England training session the other day, Walcott was expected to be 100%. He then played for England on Thursday night, scored, and received yet another knock! Just minor, should be available to face Villa on Saturday
- Manchester united duo Hernandez and Rafael are both certainties to miss the opening weekend. Hernandez should be right in 2-3 weeks but Rafael’s initial assessment was a 4-5 week hamstring injury. With United’s tough early run these guys aren’t relevant anyway!
- Norwich signing, Hooper had scans on the lower leg injury he suffered in Norwich’s final pre-season game. Hughton said when asked on the matter “The X-ray and scans are fine, there is no fracture or any other problem which might indicate a long-term injury”. Should be right to face Everton on Saturday
- Remy is still struggling with a calf injury and will miss the opening weekend against Manchester City. Pardew said “There is no chance of him making Manchester City. Whether there is a chance of him playing against West Ham in the next game we’ll see”. See how he goes before bringing him in though, very risky – showed good signs at QPR last year however.
- Arteta could be out for up to 6 weeks after scans revealed the full extent of his thigh injury, not really fantasy relevant, but terrible news for Arsenal!
- Swansea star, de Guzman, has been ruled out of this weekend’s game after suffering a serious concussion in a freak training incident.
- Arsenal are still after their main summer target, Suarez but Wenger has said that he considers Michu and Dzeko as replacements if they cannot lure Suarez. Apparently Arsenal have completed ‘extensive scouting reports’ on Swansea’s Michu and Manchester City’s Dzeko. Don’t read too much into this at all until a medical is confirmed or pen is put to paper. A lot of speculation this transfer window! Arsenal looking like failing again.
- Liverpool are ready to blow to bank with a £35m offer for Brazilian playmaker, Willian. Tottenham are also reportedly in the hunt to capture the signature of the Brazilian. He only transferred to Russian giants, Anzhi Makhachkala but is forced to be sold after the clubs owner has ‘lost his patients’ and is looking to build a squad with local and younger stars. Like every transfer rumor, don’t believe it until it’s true. United have also joined the race with a bid of around £30m, keep an eye on this! Could be a great fpl asset if he comes to the EPL.
- Another Anzhi Makhachkala star, Eto’o wants to reconnect with former boss, Jose Mourinho. He has said “’He is one of the best coaches in the world – and we had a lot of success together at Inter Milan. I would like to have the chance to play under him again – because it is never boring when Jose is around”. The 32 year old is another Anzhi player being sold due to an unhappy and frustrated owner. Follow this closely, Chelsea already have 3 fantastic strikers and another would make them extremely irrelevant in FPL terms. Just play Lukaku for god’s sake!
- If you thought that Manchester City were done spending big this transfer window, you were wrong! Apparently £90m isn’t enough! Pellegrini is reportedly after Real Madrid center back, Pepe after the extent of Nastasic’s injury was revaled. City have already had a £15m offer rejected and Madrid insist that he will stay at the Bernabeu, but City are persistent and are going for a final £20m offer. City’s director of Football as allegedly flown to Spain to try and conjure a deal. At 30 he isn’t getting any younger, keep an eye on it nonetheless.
- How could I write an article without mentioning the transfer saga of Gareth Bale? Not only are Real Madrid looking to sign the Welshmen but rivals, Manchester United, have entered the race. Spurs have allegedly set the price tag of £110m, absolutely smashing the previous record of £80m involving Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid. United are set to offer Mexican star Hernandez plus cash to lure the Welshman to Old Trafford and finally convince Spurs. Keep an eye on this transfer, regardless of where Bale goes, because it will have massive consequences on FPL! Manchester United however, is a stretch too far for me.
- Manchester United are prepared to make a bid for Real Madrid play maker, Ozil, after losing out on the majority of their targets this summer. Madrid are reportedly going to only accept the deal if the signing of Bale happens. Keep an eye on this, he would be great back in the Premier League!
- Bale has been ruled out of the season opener and possibly set to miss the opening month with AVB saying “We have to assess if the pain in his foot has stopped troubling his progress to return into first-team training…He is very far off regarding his fitness compared to the others but the player is a super-athlete. For Palace, for Dinamo Tblisi, for Swansea, he will not be in line to threaten to come back.”
- Pochettino has said that Clyne is a 50-50 chance of facing West Brom on Saturday, stating “If he’s not in the group for West Brom, he’ll be most probably available for the game after that.” While on the topic of injuries he was also asked about youngster, Shaw, and stated “We’re very happy because he has responded well throughout the week”
- Martin Jol has confirmed that Kacaniklic will face a fitness test before the game on Saturday
- Juan Mata did not feature for Spain in the friendly on Thursday night but did receive a knock during training and will partake in a fitness test.
- Hooper is facing a very late fitness test to determine his availability for the season opener. Hughton stated in his press conference “Gary Hooper is very close – we’ll make a late decision” As for Bassong and Pilkington owners, they’ll both miss out. Redmond will start.
- West Brom are injury free heading into GW1 with Steve Clarke saying in his press conference “At this stage I’m not aware of any injuries. The Doctor will assess the internationals this afternoon.”
- Sturridge should feature against Stoke despite not being fully fit
- Downing and Rat are expected to make their debuts for the Hammers
- Anelka is set to make his debut for West Brom
- Matts Boy, Jerome Thomas from Crystal Palace will not be fit in time to face Tottenham, nor the week after.
- Rooney has been included in the squad for United
- Schurrle and van Ginkel could make their debuts for Chelsea, seemingly off the bench
- Aguero is over his knee problem and is ready to start, however might not be risked with all the options up front Pellegrini has.
- Newcastle new boy, Remy, is a confirmed absentee for the game against Manchester City.
Well that’s the latest Injuries, Team News and Transfer Rumors. Keep an eye on all the transfer news and certainly don’t re-shuffle your teams purely on the possibility of a new player leaving/arriving. That’s us done until kick-off, make sure you follow us on twitter @FPLaddicts to keep up with the latest! The RMT should be packed, it’s the day we’ve all been waiting for! Good luck to one and all, Cheers!