Hello and welcome to this weeks addition of the News Wrap. A fair few rumors and injuries floating around, lets analyse them!
- Oxlade-Chamberlain has a grade one PCL which will see him miss at least 6 weeks.
- Popular pre-season choice Baker, looks set to only miss a week after picking up an ankle injury against Arsenal on the opening weekend.
- Chelsea star David Luiz is improving but is still being assessed to determine if fit for the game against United. Mourinho has confirmed that he is improving but the game midweek against Aston Villa was too early.
- Loic Remy is still not right for the game against West Ham but should make the Fulham game in two weeks time. Pardew said “We have Loic Remy coming back, and hes two weeks away. Maybe he might make the Fulham game. The West Ham game is a bridge too far”.
- City skipper, Vincent Kompany, strained his groin after a challenge from Ameobi in the Newcastle game. He is now facing a month on the sidelines after Pellegrini confirmed the worst possible news for the City Skipper.
- Tottenham are allegedly planning for life without star Gareth Bale, with the club looking to spend another 60 million pounds. Brazilian star, Willian, was in London on Tuesday to partake in a medical. Chelsea are proving to be an annoyance, with boss Roman Abramovich personally calling Anzhi’s boss with a higher bid. If the Willian deal doesn’t go through for Spurs then it is highly likely the Bale deal will be put on hold. Looks like they’ve committed too far now! Tottenham are also looking to bolster their attack with the purchase of Roma star Erik Lamela.
- After being booed off the Emirates Stadium last weekend, Arsene Wenger is ready to start spending, or so he reckons. He is reportedly plotting to sign Real Madrid keeper, Iker Casillas, as they look to replace ’error prone’ Szczesny. After a disappointing season last year, Casillas, will be looking to play as much first team football as possible. The acquisition of Casillas to the Premier League and to Arsenal would be fantastic. Keep an eye on it, just rumor innuendo at the moment though!
- Arsenal are also targeting a massive coup in Real Madrid’s striker Karim Benzema. If the offer is high enough it is highly likely Madrid will accept it and then bring Suarez to the club with a bid Liverpool couldn’t refuse. It could set the ball rolling finally… Di Maria is also on the transfer table, presumably trying to fund Bale’s purchase.
- Arsenal are set to miss out on yet another transfer target, this time it’s Newcastle’s Yohan Cabaye. PSG are ready to top Arsenal’s offer, and bid 20 million pounds for the Frenchman. If Arsenal cannot match this, the Newcastle playmaker could well be on his way back to France! I’m not too disappointed personally, he’s not worth that much.
- Norwich are set to bolster their already impressive strike force with the addition of Galatasaray forward, Johan Elmander on loan. Hooper and Van Wolfswinkel owners shouldn’t fret, as he is aware that he will be used as ‘back up’. However no one wants to sit on the bench for the entire year, he will wont to prove his worth, so keep an eye on him. Hopefully will just be used for Cup Games and when fixtures start to congest!
- Alan Pardew is also looking to bolster his strike force after watching the Lyon vs. Real Sociedad game. Pardew is considering offers for Bafetimbi Gomis and Yoann Gourcuff. With Cisse and Remy already there it seems unnecessary to increase the options even more, but then again Manchester City, Chelsea and now Norwich are all doing it. Keep an eye out! (Not surprisingly they’re both French)
- Manchester Untied are looking to bolster their title hopes with the acquisition of Everton duo, Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini. United are preparing to offer Everton 35 million pounds for the two and are quietly confident of landing the signatures. Ex Everton boss turned United manager, David Moyes knows that Everton are going to have to sell players to bring in new players so is hopeful that they will accept the bid for the two superstars. They would both be fantastic at United but of course whenever someone joins a world-class team, the aspect of rotation is present. Keep an eye out.
- Chelsea playmaker, Juan Mata will feature in the game against Untied on the weekend, but the amount of time featured is unknown. After starting against Villa midweek, Mata didn’t feature the whole 90 minutes and will be looking to increase match fitness and stake a claim for first XI football, even though clearly in the best XI at Chelsea. Mourinho has thrown a spanner in the works suggesting that a David Luiz return is on the horizon, saying “He is improving, he is training harder, not yet with the group. If not available for Monday, for Bayern”. It would be highly unlikely that he would play against United if not training with the group, but you never know!
- Arsenal trio Gibbs, Monreal and Sagna are travelling and available to take on Fulham this weekend after Wenger said “Everybody else should be fine. There’s a final decision, but Sagna and Gibbs “should be available”.
- De Guzman will be right to face Tottenham this weekend after missing out on the opening weekend after a freak training injury, in which he suffered serious concussion.
- Koscienly will miss this weeks fixture against Fulham after one of the most ridiculous red cards! However he should make it for the return fixture against Fernerbache midweek, despite suffering a severe head cut. Arsenal physio, Colin Lewin, said it was “the worst cut I have ever seen”.
- Reports have come out suggesting that Nicolas Anelka has walked out on West Brom and has retired from professional football. He has been granted personal leave indefinitely after the death of his much loved agent. It has been confirmed that he will miss the Everton game this weekend. I’m not sure he can come back from this. Van Wolfswinkel could be an upgrade option at 7.0m if you have the cash!
- Gary Hooper will again miss this weekend against Hull City, while Snodgrass and Bassong both trained all week and are ready to feature, whether that’s off the bench or a start is unbeknown to everyone outside of the football club. Hughton said in his press conference yesterday, “No Gary Hooper yet unfortunately. But Snodgrass and Bassong have trained and are in contention”
- After suffering an ankle injury during pre-season that was likely going to keep him out for 6 weeks, Nastasic will make a return against Cardiff this week. Pellegrini showed that he isn’t afraid to bring an injured player straight back in, after giving Aguero a start last weekend. Massive risk to start with him IMO, in FPL terms! After good news for Pellegrini’s men, some bad news was due. Skipper, Vincent Kompany, is set to miss a month of football after Pellegrini confirmed in his press conference yesterday stating “I prefer the doctor has the final word on this, but I think he will be out for at least one month”
- West Ham boss, Sam Allardyce, has confirmed that Andy Carroll is finishing the last of his rehab and is beginning normal training. He stated in the press conference yesterday “Andy Carroll has had an injection to finally finish off the last bit of pain he’s suffering in his heel, to shift inflammation. It’s completely repaired and we expect him to step up his training now and then we’ll take it day-by-day” He will miss the game against Newcastle but could be ready for the home game facing Stoke City.
- Cardiff have a fully fit squad to choose from after confirming so yesterday. Mackay stated “Andrew Taylor is back from suspension, Andreas is back in training. We’ve got a fully fit squad to choose from”
Well that wraps up the News for this week! Keep an eye out for the latest transfer rumours and see if any confirmed medicals are happening. For those couple of touch and go fitness tests, keep an eye out for the team news and adjust your team if need be. Good luck this weekend, Cheers!