Hello and welcome to this week’s News Wrap. There have been a fair few injuries and transfers/transfer negations since last article, lets analyze them!
- Norwich summer signing, Gary Hooper, started running yesterday but will still miss this week’s clash against Southampton. He is expected to return after the International Break.
- Juan Mata is now 100% fit after recovering from an interrupted pre-season. Unfortunately, Mata did not feature at all against Bayern Munich in the EUFA Super Cup on Friday. The alleged falling out between Mata and Mourinho looks true and at the moment is hindering his game time.
- Cardiff striker Cornelius, after suffering an ankle injury. Shouldn’t see him out for too long.
- After banging in a brace against Fulham, Arsenal star Lukas Podolski has suffered a major setback, with the initial assessment being a 10 week injury. He suffered the injury to his hamstring in the clash midweek against Fenerbache. Giroud well and truly Arsenal’s number one striker now – unless Wenger splashes the cash…
- Barkley owners beware, Everton midfielder Darren Gibson, has returned to full training. He is very unlikely to feature this week against Cardiff this weekend but will be right to face Chelsea the following week. Beware if you own Barkley, he is currently playing in his position!
- Luke Shaw was subbed off after 45 minutes against Sunderland last weekend and is currently a 50/50 chance to face Norwich this weekend. He will face a late fitness test so beware if you’re going to start him. Clyne to most likely start this weekend as well.
- Sunderland striker Stephen Fletcher is an inclusion for the Sunderland squad to take on Crystal Palace this weekend. It would be very unlikely to see Fletcher start, with featuring off the bench the more probable option.
- Liverpool signing Kolo Toure injured himself in the tie midweek against Notts County. The defender suffered a groin injury which saw him being stretchered off and forcing Liverpool to play with 10 men. The initial assessment was a few weeks. I don’t think he’ll feature until after the International Break to be honest. Rogers said in his press conference “Kolo Toure has overstretched his groin, so we need to assess that, which doesn’t look so good to be honest”.
- Fulham goalkeeper, Stekelenburg has suffered another setback, this time to the opposite shoulder. Martin Jol said “He fell on one shoulder & now he fell on the other. He’s in hospital. Hopefully it’s not serious”. Is currently out indefinitely, keep an eye out for a possible return.
- Liverpool new boy, Cissokho, has been ruled out for 6 weeks after suffering ankle ligament damage in their midweek clash against Notts County.
- Tottenham have continued to splash the cash this summer with yet another world class signing. Tottenham announced on Thursday the signing of AS Roma winger, Erik Lamela, for £30 million. Tottenham are starting to build a champions league worthy team, after it seems they have come to the realization that Welsh star Gareth Bale is heading to Spain.
- Chelsea have continued to buy this summer, adding the stocks of Samuel Eto’o to the alraedy bolstered attack. He was joined during the week by former Anzhi Makhachkala teammate, Willian, who agreed to terms with the Londoners on Thursday. These two signings are not good news for the already rotation-based strike and midfield force that Chelsea have. Both could be good FPL options if guaranteed starting XI football, however at the age of 32, it is unlikely to see Eto’o featuring regularly.
- Newcastle are reportedly in talks to re-sign Chelsea striker, Demba Ba. After selling him to Chelsea last year, Newcastle are reportedly wanting his services again, this time in the form of a season long loan. With Chelsea singing Eto’o during the week, this deal could well happen and Demba Ba will once again become fantasy relevant. Keep an eye on this!
- Everton have reportedly told Manchester United that star Defender Leighton Baines and midfielder Marouane Fellaini are worth £25 million each. Manchester United’s latest bid was around the £38 million mark but Everton are determined they’re worth £50 million. Fellaini has reportedly told Martinez that he wants to relocate to Old Trafford so this deal definitely could happen!
- After loaning out ageing superstar over the summer, Pepe Reina, Liverpool are allegedly interested in Aston Villa keeper Shay Given as an ‘experienced cover in goal’. Mignolet owners don’t fret, he is wanted as back up for young gun Simon Mignolet. Still an interesting prospect nevertheless
- Manchester City are again willing to spend this summer, with the intention of increasing their defensive depth. City are after French international, Eliaquim Mangala, who has attracted the interest from Chelsea, Barcelona, Manchester United and now Manchester City. After suffering a major blow to their skipper, Vincent Kompany, City are keen on bolstering their defense. However, acquiring the services of Mangala won’t come cheap, the Frenchman has a buy-out clause in his contract of £40 million. Yet again it is Manchester City.
- Newcastle are injury free heading into this weekend’s clash against Fulham. Pardew said in his press conference “We’re set for the weekend, we’ve got no injuries, and that’s what you want in this competition -to get through.” Yohan Cabaye is expected to play after a whirlwind of speculation surrounding his future at Newcastle. Loic Remy is set for place on bench after returning from a calf injury.
- After reportedly retiring from professional football, West Brom striker Nicolas Anelka has trained throughout the week and is ready to face Swansea on the weekend. Considering he isn’t coming back from injury, Anelka could slot straight into the starting XI. West Brom are yet to score a league goal for the 2013/14 season so his experience will be needed against Swansea this weekend!
- Jovetic is a chance to make his debut this weekend after training strongly during the week. If he was to feature though, I would see him coming off the bench.
- David Luiz started in the UEFA Super Cup against Bayern on Friday so should be fit and firing next weekend. Juan Mata once again did not start, which is ridiculous from Mourinho. If this keeps happening, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he puts in a transfer request!
- Joey O’Brien looks set to miss this weeks clash against Stoke City. Meaning popular transfer out this week at FPLaddicts, Razvan Rat, could make his Premier League debut. Knowing my luck he’ll score a hat-trick
- Aaron Lennon hasn’t trained all week and is very likely to miss the London Derby against Arsenal. Nothing serious though.
- Matija Nastasic is likely to return to Manchester City’s team this weekend after recovering from his injury during pre-season. Wouldn’t be surprised if he featured off the bench though.
- Laurent Koscienly will return from his one-match ban against Aston Villa in GW1
Well that’s the latest transfer news and injuries. See you next week for another installment! Cheers!