Hi there and welcome to this week’s addition of the News Wrap. I am very glad to see the back of the International Friendlies and am keen to get stuck into the Premier League once again! For those of you who are unaware, the transfer window closed last week and all deals were finalized. Considering a section of my article involved Transfer Rumors that will no longer be included, with a likely return when January graces the Premier League. With a whole bunch of World Cup Qualifiers over the past few days, let’s get stuck into the latest injury and team news!
- Hazard copped a knock to his calf after hobbling off during a Belgium training session. He is fit and should be right for the weekend but will face fitness test to be certain. Expect him to play.
- David Silva suffered an injury to his upper leg during a training incident before Spain’s friendly, resulting in him returning to Manchester. He has now been ruled out to face Stoke on Saturday. He should be right to return against United the following week so if you have cover, I’d bench him.
- Sturridge was forced to leave international duties and return to Melwood after injuring his thigh. Although under an injury cloud, he is facing a race against time to be fit to face Swansea this week. Playing on Monday night will only increase his chances of starting. Rogers said “If the game was tomorrow (Saturday) he would probably struggle”. He is considered as ‘doubtful’ now and will be assessed over the weekend, so it’ll be touch and go if he’s risked. Benteke a great swap if you don’t have him!
- Walcott also copped a knock whilst on international duties. He should definitely be fit for this weekend’s clash against Sunderland. Expect him to start.
- Another bloody knock! This time Ireland international, Seamus Coleman received a knock while on international duties. Not serious, a slight doubt as to whether he will play. should be right to face Chelsea on Saturday.
- Wayne Rooney has returned to training this week after suffering that horrendous head gash. He is currently a 50/50 chance to feature in the Manchester Derby in 8 days’ time. Keep an eye out.
- City full-back, Clichy, suffered an injury on international duties which will force him out of the game against Stoke. Should be right for the derby the following week.
- Tiote is set to return for the trip to Aston Villa this weekend, while a late decision will be made on Remy to see if he makes his debut for the club. If anything, I expect a spot on the bench for Loic.
- Tottenham summer signing, Eriksen is considered as a “Big possibility” according to AVB. Other new boy, Lamela, only landed in the UK on Thursday so will be touch and go whether he will feature at all. If anything, I would imagine a spot on the bench for the young man.
- After smashing the previous transfer record and finally spending some money, Wenger is yet to make a decision on whether he will start Ozil against Sunderland on the weekend. This will throw a few spanners in the works for all the managers who have instantaneously brought him in. Personally after hearing this, I will be watchlisting him for the time being. Ozil and Mertesacker now missed training yesterday through illness and are now in serious doubt for the clash with Sunderland. Mertesacker did not travel to Sunderland, so he should miss, meaning an early return for Vermaelen. I reckon a spot for Ozil on the bench now.
- David Luiz is fine after returning from injury in the UEFA Super Cup against Bayern a few weeks ago. He also played 180 minutes for Brazil during the world cup qualifiers so will be fine to face Everton.
- After Hazard, Walcott and Coleman all copped knocks over the world cup qualifiers an injury cloud is over their heads. They have all recovered though and should be fine to face their respective opponents. All should start.
- Oscar, who also limped off during a Brazil training, is fit and available for Saturdays clash against Everton
- Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert has announced that all his players that returned from international duties have got through uninjured and are all available this weekend.
- Mourinho has a fully fit squad to pick against Everton. New signing Eto’o is expected to feature. I don’t believe he will start though, possibly a spot on the bench for the new boy.
- Darren Bent and Maarten Stekelenburg will both miss this week’s home tie against West Brom. Jol is hopeful that Bent will return next week while Stekelenburg should be right by the end of September.
- Kolo Toure is expected to be fit for the trip to Swansea. With the recent signings he might not be risked though.
Well thats the latest injury and team news for this week. If you have any questions I’ll be sure to answer a bit later this afternoon, most likely before lockout! You will most likely need to make a decision on Sturridge before lockout as he will be assessed over the weekend (as Liverpool play on Monday night). Personally I’ve gone straight over to Benteke who looks a great shout against Newcastle. That’s all from me, cheers!