Well it’s that time of the week again, another installment of the News Wrap. Some big injury and team news to cover, let’s get stuck into it!
- For those unaware, Christian Benteke has been sidelined for possibly up to 6 weeks after suffering a hip injury. It’s a frustrating concept for Benteke owners with underperforming midfielders requiring a lot of attention and transfers. An upgrade to Rooney or Suarez would be good if sufficient cash or a downgrade to Remy or Lukaku if not. Plenty of options. Lambert said in his press conference yesterday “Back for the Tottenham game? Yes, we’re trying to see if that can happen”. That is GW8 so a decision will have to be made by you if you’re willing to hold or not.
- After signing with Chelsea over the summer, new boy Van Ginkel unfortunately suffered a torn ACL. This will see him sidelined for 6-9 months. In the same game, Ramires copped a knock and is in doubt for the trip to Tottenham this Saturday.
- Theo Walcott suffered a pelvic injury before last weekend’s clash with Stoke. He travelled to Germany to have surgery but will now face up to a month on the sidelines. “He’s coming back from Germany Thursday so it’s what we expected, there were no complications” was the latest from the Arsenal FC staff. Yesterday, Wenger stated “Optimistically, three weeks. Realistically, five weeks” when questioned on his return.
- David Silva will once again miss Manchester City’s clash with Aston Villa. He is expected to return against Bayern Munich in the Champions League next Wednesday.
- James Chester will miss around 8 weeks after suffering a hamstring injury against Newcastle on the weekend. While Figueroa will return this weekend after being granted compassionate leave.
- Hughes and Ruiz will face a late fitness test before they face Cardiff on Saturday. Stekelenburg is once again ruled out, along with Dejagah and Briggs. It is looking likely Ruiz will play after Jol confirmed yesterday stating, “I think he (Ruiz) could be involved but we’re not 100%”
- After being a late withdrawal against Manchester City last week, United spearhead, Robin Van Persie will face a late fitness test to determine whether he is fit enough to face West Brom. Should feature in some way.
- After suffering a nasty concussion last weekend, Lukaku started in the Capital One Cup tie against Fulham midweek so should be fully fit for this weekend’s game against Newcastle.
- Adebayor has not even trained with the reserves this week due to a confirmed illness. Will definitely miss this week’s clash against Chelsea.
- Lennon will once again miss this weekend clash against Chelsea. Defender Kaboul is also doubtful. Rose is looking likely to make a return.
- Santi Cazorla is eyeing a return against West Brom on the 6th of October. He said during the week “I will be fit maybe in one week, I hope I can play”
- West Brom face an anxious wait on the fitness of stars Yacob and Anelka. They are both facing late fitness tests to determine whether they’re fit to face United.
- Hull City playmaker, Brady, looks set to feature against West Ham on the weekend despite carrying an injury. Bruce stated in his press conference “We shall continue to monitor him and see how he goes, at this stage, its touch and go whether or not he will need an operation” and “It’s a problem. Whether or not its big enough to require an operation we don’t know”
- Both Flamini and Ramsey face late fitness tests after copping knocks. Both should be fine to face Swansea on the weekend. Wenger said yesterday when questioned on the fitness of Ramsey, “He has a little thigh problem but he should be alright”
- Pieters suffered a knock to his calf last weekend against Arsenal. It is nothing serious and he should be fit and available to take on Norwich this Saturday.
- After dislocating his shoulder last weekend, Stephen Fletcher could now miss up to 6 weeks with that shoulder injury. Will definitely miss this week and will be assessed further next week.
- Cabaye is expected to return against Everton on Monday after suffering a slight groin strain.
- Hull City will welcome back Maynor Figueroa this weekend after the defender return from compassionate leave.
- Gabriel Agbonlahor is looking likely to be fit for this weekend’s match against Manchester City after missing the midweek game against Tottenham.
- Stuart Downing is fully fit this weekend to take on Hull City, along with O’Brien and Demel. However, this weekend will come too soon for Joe Cole as he is expected back next weekend.
- Jose Mourinho “liked” the performance and the attitude of Juan Mata midweek against Swindon town, with the Spanish playmaker providing the assist for Torres’ opener. Hopefully Mourinho finally see that Chelsea need his quality week in week out and make him on of the first names on the team sheet. Look out if he starts getting regular game time.
- Daniel Agger is expected to return this weekend after missing midweek. Nothing at all serious, will be right to start.
- Norwich skipper, Bassong, is in doubt for the trip to Stoke. He will be given every chance to play and will face a late fitness test before kickoff. Van Wolfswinkel has recovered fully from his foot injury and should be right. Hooper also made his return midweek in the Capital One Cup. He scored two goals and looked as lively as ever. Hopefully these two start banging in goals for The Canaries!
- David Moyes confirmed yesterday that Van Persie will feature in some way, but is not 100% guaranteed a full 90 minutes or even a start. Moyes said “Robin will be back involved somewhere. He trained today (Friday) and is fit. But we’ll have to see exactly where he is”.
- Pellegrini confirmed yesterday that Sergio Aguero will miss the trip to Aston Villa on Saturday only with a minor injury. He is expected to return in the home tie of the Champions League against Bayern midweek.
- Tom Cleverly trained yesterday but the game against West Brom looks too soon. Should be right next week.
- After suffering a disappointing hamstring injury when a ton of managers brought him in, Hernandez will once again miss this weekend. After he was expected to return this week it comes as disappointing news for Hernandez owners. Should be right to face Southampton next week.
Well, that’s the latest injury and team news ahead of Gameweek 6. Keep an eye out on the fitness of Robin Van Persie as it is touch and go whether he will start. Good luck this weekend, hopefully it’s a lot better than last week! Cheers.