Hi there and welcome to another installment of the News Wrap. After a much more entertaining week last week, there are a few injury and selection news circling. Lets get stuck into it!
- Aside from Ramsey, Brady is arguably the most in form midfielder so far this season and is in sizzling form. But of course, something has to go wrong. Brady has been battling with a hernia problem for a few weeks now and was confident of holding off until the international break, but unfortunately couldn’t wait any longer and will now require surgery. He will miss around 4-6 weeks after having the operation which is shattering news for Hull City, but more importantly FPL Managers! Ramsey looks a good swap if you don’t already have him, but Whittingham is also in very good form!
- Rio Ferdinand missed United’s midweek Champions League tie against Shaktar after suffering a groin strain. Should be right for this weekends trip to Sunderland though.
- After seemingly finding some form in the Tottenham game, before getting sent off of course, Fernando Torres was looking to continue that against Steau midweek. Unfortunately for the Spaniard, he suffered a knee injury which required him to be subbed off early in the first half. Initial scans revealed he will miss 2-3 weeks. Probably not really fantasy relevant anymore though…
- Andy Carroll is on the road to recovery after a few setbacks over the summer. The Hammer was interviewed on Wednesday and said “I do actually feel it getting stronger, but I know I have to take it day by day. I am just happy it feels better”. He is still a while away from a return but he is pivotal for West Ham and arguably the reason Nolan is suffering, points wise.
- Swansea defender, Ashley Williams, was ruled out of Swansea’s midweek clash in the Europa league and is in doubt for the Southampton clash this weekend.
- Wayne Rooney didn’t play midweek against Shaktar after reportedly suffering a “crack in his shin“. Nothing major and he should be fine to take on Sunderland this week. Moyes said after the game on Thursday, “Its nothing serious. He took a clash of shins with Danny Welbeck and its just swollen up”. Van Persie started and got through the game fine, if you own him you would hope he will perform this week against an improving Sunderland side, otherwise it might be time to move on the expensive Dutchman.
- After being sidelined for a few weeks now, David Silva returned to the bench against Bayern Munich midweek. Wouldn’t have thought he would start against Everton this weekend, a spot on the bench seems likely.
- Hull City captain, Robert Koren, looks set to return in three weeks or so. In the press conference yesterday Hughes said “Robert is doing particularly well, we’re hopeful that within the next three weeks he could be back out there with the team”. Hughes also confirmed that Chester will resume strenuous training within the next 10 days, stating “Chester is doing well, he’s working on some other areas. Hopefully in around 10 days we’ll be able to start pushing him some more”
- Mirallas has emerged as a doubt for the trip to Manchester on the weekend. The young Belgium suffered an ankle injury and will face a late fitness test. He is currently rated a 50/50 chance to play. Pienaar looks set to miss out while Gibson also faces a late fitness test.
- Arsenal look set to face West Brom this weekend without Bacary Sagna. The Frenchman had a scan on his hamstring injury that should only see him miss this weekends clash and the International Break. Cazorla looks set to return after the International Break also.
- Scott Sinclair will miss this weeks match against Arsenal after being subbed off early against Manchester United last weekend.
- Summer signing Cissokho has trained this week and looks set to be ready after the international break. Brendan Rogers said yesterday in his press conference, “Cissokho has trained over the course of the last week or so, so I think after the international break he’ll be fine and fit”. He also commented on the fitness of Joe Allen, Coutinho and Glen Johnson. Saying that Allen should be available for the Newcastle game, while Coutinho and Johnson look set for a return after the international break.
- Nicolas Anelka and Chris Brunt returned to training this week and are both in contention to return against Arsenal. Will both face a fitness test.
- Wayne Rooney is certain to return after missing the midweek tie against Shaktar in the Champions League after suffering a shin injury. Moyes said yesterday, “Wayne will be okay for Saturday”.
- Eden Hazard should be right to return this weekend for the trip to Norwich. The Belgium international missed midweek against Steaua after suffering an ankle injury. Nothing at all serious and should be fit.
- Fernando Torres will miss this week after being sent off against Tottenham last week. Like I touched on earlier, he would have missed anyway after suffering a knee injury which will see him out for 2-3 weeks.
- Jonathan Walters is a doubt for this weekends clash with Fulham after suffering a groin injury. While team-mate Matthew Etherington is facing a fitness test after being involved in a car accident last week.
- Gabriel Agbonlahor and Ashley Westwood look set for a return this week after training well Thursday and Friday
- Victor Anichebe is a slight doubt for the game against Arsenal on Sunday, something he should recover from in time for the game. Sessegnon should be fine after receiving a knock in last weeks win against Manchester United. While Shane Long and James Morrison both trained during the week and will want to stake their claim for a starting XI appearance.
- Arsenal have been dealt yet another blow as yesterday it was announced that Bacary Sagna will not only miss this week, but also the two weeks following as well. Not great news for Arsenal!
- Joe Cole is fit and is expected to be apart of West Hams squad for the match on Sunday.
- Cardiff have confirmed they have no injury news heading into game week 7 and will face Newcastle with a fit squad.
- Hernandez is finally set to return after that hamstring injury that he suffered a few weeks ago. Rangel is facing a late fitness test to determine if he is ready to take Southampton
- Gutierrez and Stephen Taylor are expected to return against Cardiff on the weekend, while Yohan Cabaye has fully recovered and seems likely to feature.
- Jovetic is a strong doubt to miss the Everton game after Pellegrini confirmed he had “A few small problems”
- Bassong has trained fully ahead of the game against Chelsea this weekend. Both Garrido and Nathan Redmond have recovered and are in contention to face the Blues.
- Luke Shaw is a doubt to take on Swansea due to an illness he picked up.
- Van Wolfswinkel missed a number of training sessions this weekend due to a toe injury but still is expected to face Chelsea this weekend.
- After changing his shirt a staggering 5 times during the Europa League tie midweek, Michu will face a late fitness test to see if he is available to take on Southampton. Should be fine.
Well that’s the latest injury and team news ahead of this weekends matches. I hope its another high scoring week and my team finally does some decent scoring! Cheers.