I’m back for another installment of the News Wrap, finally a half decent week for once! Hope everyone scored well. With action in both the Champions League and the Europa League there are a few injury and selection news circling, let’s get stuck into it!
- Ben Davies has been ruled out for up to a month with an ankle injury. Disappointing considering his attacking returns and Swansea’s upcoming fixtures. Davies said “I am disappointed but I just have to do my rehab now and come back as soon as possible”
- Coutinho has targeted Liverpool’s away trip to Aston Villa as his likely return from a shoulder injury that has recovered well.
- Hull City goalkeeper, Allan McGregor, has been ruled out for up to 6 weeks with a thigh injury.
- Chelsea are adamant that Ashley Cole will return against Manchester City this weekend after missing several weeks with a rib injury. Mourinho confirmed yesterday that he will be fit to paly
- After Pellegrini confirmed that both Kompany and Demichelis will play during the week, Kompany has now not travelled to London and will miss the game. Demichelis will be fit for this weekend’s trip.
- Martin Jol confirmed yesterday that Hangeland will miss out with a leg injury and Ruiz will miss out with a back injury
- Mark Hughes is unsure whether skipper Ryan Shawcross is fit for the visit to his old club. Will face a late fitness test to determine if he is right or not.
- Steven Davies, of Southampton, is a doubt for this weekend’s clash with Fulham on Saturday.
- Scott Sinclair has a small chance of returning this weekend against Liverpool after being sidelined for a month with a hamstring injury. Very slim chance of playing at this rate, will face a late fitness test.
- Michael Laudrup said yesterday that Ashley Williams is still a while off returning after the Englishmen is still yet to train with the main group. Laudrup said “Ashley hasn’t trained with the main group yet because he is still in pain when he has to make certain movements. He is close”
- Martinez has confirmed that Heitinga has suffered a groin injury and said on the issue “He’s got a worry in his groin, we’re checking and making sure it’s not a major problem”
- Jack Whilshere suffered an ankle injury midweek against Borussia Dortmund which forced the midfielder to be substituted. After the game Whilshere said “I’m alright. I just jarred my ankle. I have done it before and its painful for the first minutes, but you can run it off”. He will face a late fitness test to determine if he is fit to play Crystal Palace
- Danny Graham will miss against Tottenham this weekend with a knee injury
- Sone Aluko and Robbie Brady have now emerged as serious doubts for this week’s clash with Tottenham, will both face a late fitness test.
- Newcastle skipper, Coloccini, will miss this week’s derby against Sunderland with Stephen Taylor firming as the likely replacement although there is some doubt as he hasn’t seen any action for a month. Newcastle granted the Argentine leave as they fear he may be sidelined for some time, with 8 weeks the expected timeline.
- Van Wolfswinkel is “touch and go” for this weekend’s game against Cardiff, with Elmander set to return this weekend against Cardiff after suffering a thigh injury.
- Vidic, Ferdinand and Van Persie are all expected to return to the match day squad this weekend after sitting out the Champions League tie on Wednesday. Although Cleverly and Welbeck are likely to miss. Van Persie is still struggling with an ongoing toe and groin injury which Moyes was questioned about midweek, saying “Robin, I hope, will be fit for the weekend. He’s had a couple of niggling injuries and they have all just caught up on him”. Sounds like Robin is struggling big time. A home game against Stoke might see him rested? With United’s lack of goals recently I reckon Moyes needs him out there. If he is though, I would say now is definitely time to dump the 13.9m striker.
- Andre Schurrle returned midweek against Schalke after missing last week’s Premier League game with a muscle complaint. Will be fine to take on Manchester City this weekend.
- Flamini will be available this week after recovering from concussion last week against Norwich.
- Cardiff striker, Cornelius, looks set to miss the clash with Norwich this weekend.
- Lucas Leiva will return this week after missing out last week’s clash with Newcastle to witness the birth of his second child.
- West Ham will be without Diarra, Collns and McCartney for the trip to Swansea this weekend. Andy Carroll will also miss out but is nearing a return, within the next 2-3 weeks the likely return.
- Craig Bellamy will return for Cardiff this weekend after being rested last week.
Well that’s a wrap of all the injury and team news. Good luck for this weekend and go Chelsea! 🙂