Well we’re finally back! Gee I hate International Breaks but it gave me a chance to finish exams and school properly for this year, yippee! Anyway getting back to the important stuff, there obviously was an International Break this past week so injuries were destined to happen, let’s get stuck into it!
- Superstar of this season so far, Aaron Ramsey was struggling with a slight hamstring problem throughout the International Break but trained fully this week and will be right to take on Southampton this weekend. Theo Walcott is likely to return as well after Wenger confirmed so midweek. He is a very good FPL option and will be looking to return to last season’s blistering form after having a slow start before his injury. Rosicky will face a late fitness test after also recovering from an illness he picked up while on International duties. Podolski is set to return in around 3 weeks or so.
- Michael Carrick has been ruled out for up to 6 weeks with an Achilles injury. Fellaini will also miss this weekend, and undoubtedly more, after the Belgium big man underwent an operation. Phil Jones has also been sidelined for this weekend’s game against Cardiff and could possibly miss up to 6 games. It was originally only meant to be a 10 day injury but scans have revealed a more serious problem. Will find out more over the coming days.
- After allegedly set to miss up to 6 weeks, Hull City goalkeeper Allan McGregor, is now in contention to return against Crystal Palace this weekend. Bruce said in his press conference “We’re hopeful Allan can be ready”. Robbie Brady is also set to finally return to the starting XI after being troubled by a recent Hernia operation. A home game against a struggling Crystal Palace will hopefully see him find the back of the net once again. Captain Koren is also set to return after Bruce confirmed McGregor, Brady and Koren are all set to return. A big boost ahead of their home clash against Crystal Palace.
- Ashley Cole has emerged as a serious doubt for the trip to West Ham this weekend after the fullback suffered a re-occurrence of his recent rib injury, he has still been included in the squad but is still under that injury cloud. Ryan Bertrand looks like the obvious replacement if he does miss out. Should only see him miss one game if he does miss.
- Jose Enrique has suffered yet again another injury set back. The Spaniard broke down in training during the week. Rogers said “Jose has been struggling for a while with an injury, it looks like he needs an operation”. He is likely to miss 2 months after this operation, definitely now is the time to dump him, if you hadn’t already rage traded him out several weeks ago!
- Jack Wilshere will face a very late fitness test this weekend after picking up an ankle injury on International duties midweek.
- Sam Allardyce is hopeful to retain both Collins and O’Brien for the game against Chelsea this weekend. Rat has emerged as a major doubt with a hamstring injury.
- Hernandez trained ‘lightly’ throughout the week but will once again miss for Swansea. Michu is still ‘a few weeks away’ and Monk is likely to return sometime early next year.
- Rogers confirmed that Sturridge has had a ‘dead leg’ for around 3-4 weeks! This is a massive reveal from the Liverpool Gaffer and maybe the reasons he hasn’t been as clinical in the past few weeks. Should still be right for this weekend though.
- Winston Reid has undergone successful ankle surgery and will now face an extended stint on the sidelines. He is straight into rehab and the return date is unknown at this point in time.
- Cornelius is finally set to return for Cardiff this weekend when the Bluebirds take on Manchester United. Cornelius said on the possibility of returning, “I hope to be involved”. Not exactly definite but featuring in some form seems likely.
- Both Anelka and Scott Sinclair are pushing for returns for the Monday night clash against Aston Villa. Clarke said in his press conference, “All the injured players are improving. Not so many went away this time. It looks as though we’ll have almost a full complement”.
- Robert Huth is set to return from an ankle injury against Sunderland on Saturday.
- Vidic has recovered from his concussion against Arsenal and will return against Cardiff this weekend.
- Southampton will travel to London this weekend with a fully fit squad, minus long term injuries Cork and Guly.
- Gutierrez has returned to the Toon this week and is likely to return to the starting lineup. The Argentine was on compassionate leave dealing with a personal issue. Both Dummett and Taylor trained during the week and are in contention to also return.
- Norwich have a fully fit squad to choose from this weekend as they take on Newcastle. Ricky Van Wolfswinkel is the only absentee after he is suffering from an ongoing toe issue.
- Torres is unlikely to return for Chelsea this weekend after missing several weeks with a knee injury. He looked in some sort of form before the injury so keep an eye out when he returns in the next week or two, especially with these upcoming fixtures for Chelsea. Although Torres has often showed these sort of glimpses throughout his Chelsea career and then replied by missing open goals. Don’t get too excited…..Yet!
- Gerrard is fit for the Merseyside Derby after being under an injury cloud throughout the International Break, likewise is Kolo Toure.
- Fernandinho and Nastasic will both return for Manchester City this weekend after both missing the game against Sunderland. Silva, Kompany and Jovetic are all still sidelined through injury.
- Hangeland is once again ruled out for Fulham with nerve damage to his leg. Damien Duff has an issue with his abductor and also will be missing for Fulham this weekend.
Well that’s the latest Injury and Team News. I was starting to have withdrawal symptoms for a while this week so thankfully EPL and FPL are back! Good luck and hopefully your team starts/keeps performing.