What a full on week it has been, just a shame we had a break in the Premier League midweek. But that didn’t stop the football! Both the Champions and Europa league finalised the group stages and we were a touch unfortunate in FPL terms, with all English teams qualifying to the next stages (Chelsea, Manchester United, Manchester City, Arsenal, Swansea & Tottenham) So with such a heavy workload for the players over the last week there is bound to be injuries and/or rotation issues, lets get stuck into it!
- Liverpool legend and captain, Steven Gerrard, suffered a massive injury blow on the weekend with the midfielder suffering a hamstring injury which will set to see him miss around 6 weeks. Massive news for Liverpool and Gerrard as he has been in terrific form recently. Silva could be a nice upgrade target if you have the cash.
- In other massive news, Robin Van Persie has been ruled out of action for a month with his ongoing thigh injury. This is even more bad news for Moyes and Manchester United considering their dire run thus far this year.
- Vertonghen will require a second scan to uncover the full extent of his ankle injury. The Belgian could possibly miss up to a month of football depending on the results of the scan.
- Arsenal medical staff are now thinking that Sagna is likely to miss this weekends clash with Manchester City after not starting in the Champions League midweek and missing the past two league matches. He will face a very late fitness test with Jenkinson likely to keep holding it down at right back if he doesn’t return.
- Leighton Baines has revealed that a return around Christmas time is highly likely with the fullback saying “The schedule thickens up around Christmas, I like to think I would be back and available to help the team at that point”.
- Tottenham maestro, Christian Eriksen, returned on the bench midweek against Anzhi in the Europa League and will be pushing for a start against Liverpool on the weekend. A massive game for both clubs and Eriksen’s class will be needed for the dour Tottenham side at the moment. He only played half an hour so it is touch and go at the moment as to whether he will start, I’d say its unlikely.
- Both Collins and Demel are “Sick” but according to Allardyce the players are expected to be right to take on Sunderland this weekend.
- Begovic is a doubt for Stoke City this weekend after suffering a with a thigh problem. Etherington has trained all week but lacks match fitness so will be a doubt for the trip to Hull. Sorensen will make his first appearance in two years if Begovic doesn’t play.
- Pochettino has confirmed it is “unlikely” that any of his injured players will return this weekend for the trip to Newcastle. Meaning popular defender, Clyne, is likely to still be sidelined.
- Vorm is a major doubt for this weekends clash against Norwich. He has been resting all week but will face a very late fitness test. If he isn’t right, Tremmel will take his place.
- Mourinho confirmed that Cahill will not be risked against Crystal Palace this weekend after suffering a slight thigh problem last weekend. David Luiz, who returned in the Champions League midweek, is likely to be his replacement.
- David Silva returned for Manchester City in their astonishing midweek win against Bayern Munich in Germany on Tuesday. The Spaniard played 70-odd minutes and was at the heart of City’s attacking play. He looks set to start against Arsenal on the weekend which is a massive game for both sides with fairly hefty ramifications for the loser. Personally I wont be bringing him in this week after already having to dump him twice this year, but that doesn’t mean to say you shouldn’t bring him in, he is instrumental for Manchester City and should be back to his best against Arsenal on the weekend.
- Both David Luiz and Oscar returned for Chelsea in their midweek win against Steaua in the Champions League. Both have returned to full fitness and will be fighting for a start against Crystal Palace on Saturday. With Hazard playing 270 minutes in the past week a home game against Crystal Palace might see him get a well earned rest, especially with Oscar back to full fitness. Only time will tell though.
- Pieters is fighting for a starting spot this weekend after missing their 3-2 win against Chelsea last weekend. He has overcome his groin injury and will be hoping to slot straight back into the Potters’ defense.
- Yohan Cabaye and Kevin Nolan will both miss their teams’ clashes respectively this weekend due to suspension. On a brighter note, both Wayne Rooney and Ravel Morrison will return after serving their 1 match ban last weekend.
- Fulham boss, Rene Meulensteen, has said that Bent will be available for the trip to Everton this weekend after apparently training “well” during the week.
- There are no fresh injury concerns for Newcastle United this weekend after there triumphant 1-0 victory at Old Trafford last weekend.
- Anichebe is a doubt for the trip to Cardiff this weekend because of illness but Anelka and Sinclair have recovered and are expected to be involved.
- Nastasic is set to return against Fulham next weekend after being sidelined for several weeks now. Jovetic has returned to training but the game against Arsenal this weekend will come to soon. Clichy is available for selection after returning from a foot injury.
Well that’s the latest wrap of all the Injury and Team News that has been circling at the start of this hectic period. I definitely feel that Hazard may face rotation in the not to distant future but lets hope its not against Palace this weekend because that is looking somewhat enticing! Good luck for this weekend I hope its another action packed one! Cheers.