Hello and welcome to another addition of the News Wrap. It was good to see the return of the Premier League last weekend after League and FA Cup ties, but it didn’t return without injury and/or team news to talk about. Some massive news have been released over the past 24 hours about some key players in the Premier League, lets analyze it!
- In perhaps the biggest game of the season for both clubs, Wayne Rooney has unfortunately been ruled out yet again for this weekend’s trip to Stamford Bridge. In what is shaping up to be a mouth-watering clash, the Englishmen has returned “fresh” from heat training but unfortunately for some, will not be risked this weekend. Along with his team mate, Robin Van Persie will also miss the game against Chelsea with the Dutchman still struggling with a niggling groin injury. Will start training fully next week and a return for both the United stars is likely in the not too distant future.
- Samir Nasri suffered an unfortunate blow to the knee in last weekend’s controversial 2-0 win over Newcastle. The Frenchman suffered damage to his knee ligaments and now is set to be sidelined for up to 8 weeks. In what was a crude challenge, Yanga-Mbiwa has since apologized for his outrage but in fairness should have been sent off. Jesus Navas looks to be a very interesting replacement for the Frenchman, who has been in very decent form of late. He looked very dangerous in the FA Cup midweek, albeit against Blackburn, and has always been a very good fantasy prospect, just lacked game time. Now with the injury to Nasri his game time wills surely start to increase. Watchlist.
- Ross Barkley has suffered a rather innocuous break in his toe and unfortunately has been ruled out for a minimum of 3 weeks. The attacking midfielder missed last week’s game against Norwich and consequently it was revealed that he indeed had actually broken his toe. He will probably miss around a month of football.
- Michel Vorm is hopeful of a return this weekend from a knee injury which has kept him out for a frustrating 5 weeks. A huge game against Tottenham could possibly see the return of Vorm, if not definitely next weeks game against Fulham.
- In a huge boost for Chelsea ahead of a massive game, Frank Lampard has returned to training this week and is set to be fit for the match against United. With new singing Matic already been ruled out, Frank could line up for the Blues in what is shaping up to be a massive, massive game.
- Both Patrice Evra and Phil Jones are looking likely to return this weekend to give Moyes somewhat of a boost considering the latest news to his two gun strikers. Evans is also a possibility to return.
- Kyle Walker is currently a doubt for this weekend’s trip to Swansea after limping off in Tottenham’s 2-0 victory of Crystal Palace last weekend. The full back is currently struggling with a calf injury and will face a very late fitness test to determine if he is ready to play or not. Touch and go at the moment.
- Monreal is currently doubtful to play Fulham this weekend after suffering ligament damage to his foot on Monday night. With Gibbs back to full fitness, he was seemingly always going to be relegated to the bench but a stint in the stands is looking likely now.
- Sergio Aguero is BACK! It took him just 49 seconds to continue where he left off before his frustrating injury and he’s ready to continue that absolutely astonishing form. Aguero returned against Blackburn in Manchester City’s midweek FA Cup replay, playing just under 20 minutes. The Argentine looked good when he came on and to be fair, was gifted the goal by a generous Edin Dzeko, but a goals a goal! There is a lot of speculation as to whether Pellegrini will hand a start straight to Aguero this weekend against Cardiff, especially with Negredo and Dzeko both in tantalizing form, but there is always hope. And besides, if he doesn’t start, he will certainly come off the bench and hopefully recreate what Sturridge did last weekend! If you’re going to get him it would be wise to get in fast because he has already risen in price by 0.1 which means he is priced at 12.0 overall. With Rooney drastically decreasing in price he is going to be harder and harder to get in if you’re taking your time.
- David Silva was rested for Manchester City’s FA Cup game against Blackburn midweek alongside team mates Vincent Kompany and Yaya Toure. Silva picked up a minor problem against Newcastle last weekend but will play against Cardiff this weekend as it has been indicated that it’s nothing serious. Yaya and Kompany will all return to the starting line up as well.
- After missing Arsenal’s last 3 matches, Aaron Ramsey was targeting a return this weekend against Fulham, but unfortunately will once again miss out. Arguably the most in form player before his injury, Ramsey will return at a bargain price of just 7.1, especially considering the form he produced. He will now return against Southampton next weekend after initially hopeful of a return this weekend. I would give him a week, maybe two, to see how he is performing and then look to bring him in, should be a very good addition with your January Wildcard!
- Both Shane Long and Nikica Jelavic have completed their moves to Hull City this week in a massive bid for more game time and probably more cash. Like I touched on last week, Jelavic was in blistering form over the pre-season matches and was featuring regularly in peoples draft sides before gameweek 1. If he can start finding the back of the net on a regular basis he could be a fantastic POD, one to watch.
- After not getting anywhere near the game time he would have hoped this year, Ryan Bertrand completed a move to Aston Villa on loan this week. He should be a regular starter for Villa and could definitely be an interesting selection. Also moving to Villa on loan, is the former Norwich striker, Grant Holt. He has been battling with injury and form in the Championship so for some reason has gone on loan to Villa… Anyway, he knows how to find the back of the net and has proved it time and time again. With Benteke their main man, Holt may find it hard to break into Villa’s starting XI.
- After much controversy and speculation, Nemanja Matic has made his long awaited return to Chelsea. He is priced at an interesting price of 6.0m and could definitely be one to watch if he is guaranteed regular game time. As a general consensus, holding midfielders typically do not score well enough to warrant a spot in your starting XI but Mourinho has said that he has the ability to play anywhere on the pitch, so a move up the park may not be out of the equation. But with Juan Mata not seeing any action as an attacking midfielder it’d be very hard to see Matic featuring as an attacking midfielder. Keep an eye out.
- Over the past week or so, young German midfielder, Julian Draxler, has been heavily linked with Arsenal. Wenger strangely suggested he could turn the midfielder into the new Robin Van Persie if he decided to make the move over to London. If a move does eventuate, it will more than likely be in the summer, regardless he will be a fantastic addition to the Premier League and definitely one to consider for Fantasy Premier League, an out and out gun!
- Jonas Gutierrez has completed a loan move to Norwich this week after the Argentine a suffered a serious lack of game time at the Toon. He could potentially be a nice POD but with all the big guns in the midfield firing at the moment it is hard to see a place for him, a no for me.
Well that wraps up another addition of the News Wrap. Good luck this weekend and hopefully it’s another eventful and exciting weekend of Football! Cheers.