Hello and welcome to another addition of the News Wrap. There have been some movements in the January Transfer Window this week that will have some massive ramifications on the Premier League and, more importantly, Fantasy Premier League. The weekend just gone saw a break in Premier League action and a continuation of the FA Cup. There were a few injuries and niggles from the games plus some injuries from last weekend’s Premier League action, lets anaylse them!
- The biggest injury news ahead of this week’s games came in the form of the highest scoring defender, Seamus Coleman. Coleman has had a fantastic year to date, but worryingly limped off in Everton’s 1-1 draw away to West Brom last Monday. He is still a very slight chance of making the Merseyside Derby but the probability is definitely against him. He will face a very late fitness test but at this stage it’s not looking good. An away trip to the inform Suarapool will prove a difficult test regardless, so it’s probably a blessing in disguise as a spot on your bench may be the way to go for the Irishman!
- Manchester City’s strike force of Alvaro Negredo and Sergio Aguero has been arguably the most deadly in the Premiership this season. Unfortunately for City, Negredo is a doubt for the trip to Tottenham this week after suffering a shoulder injury in last week’s game against Cardiff. The Spaniard was rested for the midweek win over Watford but was seen with his arm still in a sling during training yesterday. It could just be precautionary but it doesn’t look good. With World Class strikers in Edin Dzeko and Stevan Jovetic warming the bench Pellegrini may well choose to rest him, especially for the potential top of the table clash against Chelsea this weekend.
- Southampton duo Dejan Lovren and Gastón Ramirez are both set to miss 6-8 weeks after sustaining injuries in last weekend’s 2-2 draw with Sunderland. They both picked up ankle injuries which will see them miss close to two months of football. Southampton’s assistant manager commented on the issue saying, “They are serious injuries. We initially expected Gastón to be out longer than Dejan, but they’ll be out for the same time”.
- Hull City have suffered a major blow with centrehalf James Chester suffering more damage to his tendon, the same injury that hampered the start of his season. The defender is now set to be sidelined for around 8 weeks. Very unfortunate because of his basement price, Hull’s very good home record and his job security.
- David Silva has a slight hamstring injury and sensibly was not risked against Watford in the FA Cup. He will be find to take on Tottenham this week, was just a precautionary rest.
- Bryan Oviedo unfortunately has had hit season cut agonizingly short after a horrific leg break in Everton’s 4-0 FA Cup triumph over Stevenage. After coming on to the Premier League scene with a bang, this is truly shattering news for Oviedo and for Everton. Martinez said after the game “Bryan was trying to win the ball back and unfortunately has come away with a double fracture, a break in both the Tibia and Fibula”.
- Jack Wilshere is a doubt for this weekend’s trip to Southampton with an ankle injury. The central midfielder has been in decent form recently so this injury has definitely come at the wrong time. If he does miss out, a return the following gameweek against Crystal Palace is likely.
- After signing last year’s highest scoring midfielder, Manchester United are in even higher spirits with the news that Wayne Rooney, Robin Van Persie and Marouane Fellaini are all set to return to the first team against Cardiff this week. This is massive news for Manchester United who have really struggled to field their best XI week in week out this year and will be looking to make amends for last weekend’s shattering loss to close rivals Chelsea.
- Asmir Begovic returned in goals for Stoke against Chelsea in their 4th round exit of the FA Cup. He had previously missed Stokes last 5 games but returned to goals in style and only conceding due to some pure brilliance from Oscar. He will replace Jack Butland in goals for this week’s Premier League game against Sunderland.
- Aaron Ramsey frustratingly fell behind schedule with his quad injury and now is hopeful of a return against Southampton this week. With Arsenal’s in form midfield Wenger may not decide to rush Ramsey straight back into the starting XI so a spot on the bench may be the case. Will have to wait and see.
- Southampton bad boy, Osvaldo, will miss this weeks game against Arsenal after a training incident has left him with a club suspension. Reports say that a confrontation between Osvaldo and team mate, Jose Fonte resulted in the Italian headbutting his team mate. He has consequently been banned for two weeks and there is now some doubt surrounding his future at the club.
- During the summer there was constant speculation surrounding Yohan Cabaye’s future at Newcastle and whether or not he would stay. Well he made it to January and the speculation is back. There are reports today that Newcastle have accepted a £23m from French giants, Paris Saint-Germain. If this is true it is massive news for the Premier League and for Newcastle, who will need to quickly find a replacement. As for replacements in Fantasy Premier League, I would be looking no further than Christian Eriksen. They are identical in price and are both playing in very attacking roles, pretty much a like for like swap.
- There are strange reports from Spain today with Athletico Madrid and Chelsea reportedly accepting a swap deal involving Diego Costa and Thibaut Courtois. Courtois will reportedly stay at Athletico (currently there on loan from Chelsea) and Costa will move to Chelsea in what seems a bizarre trade. Definitely only speculation at this stage and something like this wouldn’t happen until the summer anyway. Regardless, Costa would be a fantastic addition to the Premier League, that’s for sure!
- Out of favor Manchester United winger, Wilfred Zaha, has travelled to Cardiff to take part in a medical with reports team mate Fabio has joined him. Zaha has not been at all given the game time he is craving and was even benched for United’s reserves team last weekend. He has done something to get on the wrong side of Moyes and its currently biting him in the backside. A loan spell at Cardiff may do him the world of good and would certainly showcase his extraordinary talent. An outcome will result in the next day or so.
Well, that’s the latest wrap of all the injury and team news and a wrap of today’s latest transfer rumors. Good luck this weekend and I’ll be back shortly as gameweek 25 is only just a short break away! Cheers.