Hello and welcome to another addition of the News Wrap. A short turn around this weekend with Premier League games being played midweek. The games didn’t come without injury news though, with a number of stars suffering fresh injuries or injury setbacks. A couple of big games this weekend and a few key players missing, lets analyse it!
- The biggest news of gameweek 24 is that Sergio Aguero has once again injured himself. After facing an extended stint on the sidelines, Sergio returned two weeks ago and didn’t look like he had missed a beat. Fast forward to now and Aguero has once again gone down with injury, this time a hamstring injury. He was substituted just before half time after scoring and looking very likely to add to his tally. He has been ruled out of this weekend’s massive clash with Chelsea, and is set for another month on the sidelines. A downgrade to the red hot Sturridge is a very worthy option, as is Rooney. A decent shout may also be RVP if you have the extra cash, although his 13.6 price tag is rather off-putting. Dzeko & Negredo also pose as good options.
- Seamus Coleman is another gun that will be on the sidelines this weekend. The Irishman missed Everton’s embarrassing performance against Liverpool and will miss this weekend’s game at home to Villa. He will however return against Tottenham the following weekend. Although he is dropping in price, I would still hold him as he will be the highest scoring defender this year and has such an attacking threat. Also once you’ve dumped him it is very hard to bring him back as you obviously cannot sell him for his full price – something you have to consider though! Everyone’s team structure is different.
- After seemingly set for a return against Fulham two weeks ago, Aaron Ramsey has once again faced a setback and is looking likely to miss a further month of Football. Ramsey has been sidelined with a thigh injury since December and is now looking likely to miss at least the next 4-6 weeks. On a good note, his price will continue to drop presumably as the 30.3% of teams that currently own him cannot afford to keep him on the bench during this make or break time in Fantasy Premier League. Once he does return he will be back at a very nice price and will more than likely become a fantastic POD option.
- Romelu Lukaku was forced off only 24 minutes into the Merseyside Derby on Tuesday after the Belgium suffered an ankle injury. Martinez said after the game “There is no ligament damage, the injury is not as bad as we first thought. It will be a case of a few weeks”. His price has already dropped and will continue to do so. He has been somewhat of a slump recently so with this minor setback it might be time to give the Belgium monster the flick.
- Ben Arfa will be available for this weekend’s derby against Sunderland after the Frenchman was forced off after 74 minutes due to cramp. Nothing at all serious and will be available for selection this weekend.
- Nicolas Anelka has been ruled out of this weekend’s game against Liverpool after picking up a knee injury in West Brom’s narrow 4-3 loss to Aston Villa midweek. The veteran will more than likely return next weekend against Crystal Palace.
- Loic Remy will miss the next 3 matches for Newcastle after receiving a red card against Norwich midweek. The striker contested the ban but was unsuccessful and will now remain on the sidelines. Cisse seems the likely replacement over this period but new loan signing Luuk De Jong may also be an option.
- Steven N’Zonzi will miss this weekend’s home clash against Manchester United after receiving a second yellow card in their narrow 1-0 defeat away to Sunderland midweek. He will return against Southampton next weekend.
- After receiving a red card and arguably changing the game, Danny Rose will be available for this weekend’s game against Hull City after his appeal was successful.
- Alvaro Negredo is looking likely to return this weekend in a massive clash against Chelsea at the Etihad. He missed Manchester City’s FA Cup win last week and their romp of Tottenham this week so there are still some doubts as to whether he will start. I reckon he will partner Dzeko up front in what is a massive game for both clubs but like I said, there is still some doubt as to whether he will walk straight into the lineup. Approach with caution.
Transfer Deadline Day Wrap:
- Manchester United duo, Fabio and Wilfred Zaha, completed loan spells to Cardiff on Transfer Deadline Day today, as there hunt for first team football brings them to Cardiff. Fabio is especially one to look out for with an enticing price of only 4.1m. He would be fantastic bench cover if he is a locked in starter at Cardiff. Wait and see.
- Lewis Holtby also completed a Transfer Deadline Day loan move, arriving at Fulham. He has been seriously starved of first team action this year and a loan move to the struggling Fulham might just be what he needs. He’s a fantastic player that has just lacked opportunity, if Fulham can provide him with that, lookout.
- Dani Osvaldo’s stint in the Premier League was short-lived but didn’t lack drama. The striker completed a loan move to Juventus for the remainder of the season with the option of a £16.5m summer deal.
- Chelsea confirmed overnight the signing of 19 year old wonderkid from St. Etienne, Kurt Zouma, with the hunt for a John Terry replacement seemingly on. They have loaned him straight back to St. Etienne for the remainder of the season after paying around £12.5m.
- Arsenal have joined in on the Transfer Deadline Day fun, adding to their squad the German gun Juli….. Wait…. Kim Kallstrom. A 31 year old Swedish holding midfielder? Well, pretty much the same as Julian Draxler, I guess. Anyway, a loan move was made for the 31 year old with Arsene Wenger’s intention purely for squad depth. They are seemingly set for a summer move for Julian Draxler…Surely?!
- Dimitar Berbatov completed a very strange Transfer Deadline Day switch to French moneybags team, AS Monaco. After Falcao went down with a season ending knee injury and Lacina Traore joining Everton on loan, it was inevitable they would be chasing a striker. But Berbatov? We knew he was unsettled but a move to another Premier League team was seemingly the case, he was even linked with Arsenal! Anyway, he obviously wont be on Fantasy Premier League any more so if you have him in your team (for some strange reason), get rid of him!
- Everton defender, John Heitinga, has joined Premier League rivals Fulham, for an undisclosed fee very late on Transfer Deadline Day. There was a lot of speculation about Heitinga possibly joining West Ham, but Fulham have stepped up their bid to avoid relegation and have added the services of Heitinga. If they can improve their defense, Heitinga at 4.6m could be an interesting option.
Well, that’s the latest wrap of all the Injury and Team news that has been circling after the short turnaround from gameweek 23. The January transfer window has now closed so teams obviously will not be able to increase squad depth until the summer. Good luck for this weekend and I’ll be back next week for another addition, cheers!