I have to admit, it’s been a pretty poor couple of weeks for me. Man City have killed us, and I couldn’t buy a captain. It’s time for redemption! Let’s take a look at which players are the ones to carry us through these tough times, and some more DGW news. UPDATED!
Before we can consider any of the options, we must take into account the fixture re-scheduling going on in response to the FA Cup results. Basically, if a team goes through to the FA Cup quarter finals, they will have their GW29 fixture re-scheduled. This is big news for us fpl managers, as we already have a number of blanks during GW 28. As Sunderland won last night, their game against Liverpool will not go ahead in GW29 as planned. There is a small chance it could still be re-scheduled midweek and count in the same gameweek, however don’t rely on it. Plan for them to miss. This is bad news for SAS owners, however 1 week missed is not too bad. Sunderland will have 3 DGW’s in the run home, so keep their assets in mind. Man City have also gone through, so they have yet another blank along with Aston Villa. This means that they will miss both GW28 and 29, so dump your Man City assets ASAP! They will have 3 DGW’s in the run home, so definitely keep them in mind. Southampton v Crystal Palace will go ahead as they lost.
So it was basically our worst nightmare. Every game that could of been called off was, with only 6 games now scheduled for GW29. Arsenal, Everton, Swansea, and Newcastle all join Man City, Aston Villa, Sunderland and Liverpool to currently have a blank. This may change if the club wants to play the game midweek, however we can only wait on any official announcements to come.
The important thing to take note is how many players you will currently miss in both GW 28 and 29. Try to not panic and sell everyone, as all these teams will have DGW’s in the run home. Sometimes a donut isn’t the end of the world, I took 3 last GW. Bear these changes in mind when making your transfers this week! Don’t forget some of the games may still be re-scheduled midweek and still be played in GW29, we just have to play a waiting game.
- Gerrard – A couple of weeks ago I said he was playing in a more withdrawn role. Even though it goes against every fibre of my fpl knowledge, he is killing it, and presents us a brilliant option in midfield. Liverpool have no huge cup concerns, and they are scoring goals for fun. Even though they have been hit by some bad news (more on that later), Stevie G presents the perfect option to replace some of our Man City midfielders.
- Koscielny – Arsenal’s defence just continue to get the business done at home, and once again it was Koscielny who picked up all 3 bonus points. 5.7 is still great value, and with a home clash against Sunderland up next he is a perfect replacement if needed.
- Lallana – He is just unbelievably consistent, and can be relied upon just like you would with a premium. 8.0 is still solid value in my opinion, and he presents a safe midpriced option for the run home with a lot of other options around him stumbling.
- Sturridge – Basically a must have now. I must admit his dominance over Suarez is concerning, and it must make us question Suarez’s value in our teams. There is no way I will be trading out Suarez as the options around him are simply not good enough, and he has more scoring ability than anyone else in the league. Aguero’s return may pose some questions, but until then he stays. SAS is the way forward, even with Liverpool’s blank GW to come.
- Collins – A few weeks ago I had Collins in the hot buys section as a great value pick. Since then he has scored 36 points in 4 games, with a goal capping it all of last week. Numerous injuries prevented me from getting him, however 4.2 in the league’s best defence (13 clean sheets) offers great value.
- Ivanovic – I never like to get defenders after a few great attacking games. They never keep it up! However Ivanovic is certainly a regular in Chelsea’s solid defence, so he’s a great option for those who want to chase his points. Just don’t expect him to keep this pace up for long.
- Olsson – Finally I have another speculative target. Olsson has become a regular is Norwich’s defence, and they have a brilliant run of fixtures to come. They play Tottenham this week, have already kept a clean sheet against City, and have Liverpool, United, Chelsea and Arsenal to finish off the season. This means they have an unbelievable run up until GW35, playing 6 bottom half teams in 7 weeks, 3 of them at home. Speaking of home, they have 3 clean sheets in their last 3 games at Carrow Road. Seems fairly decent value at 4.2! Bassong is another options to consider at a slightly higher cost (4.7).
- Kolarov – Unfortunately the 50/50 call between him and Zabaleta has killed me, as Sunderland midweek was his time to shine. His price is falling and with City not getting a run on until at least GW 30, it’s time for him to go.
- Silva – He has been solid since returning, and picked up another assist in the FA Cup last night. Look for an alternative for the next few weeks, I went to Gerrard. If you want someone who will play in every week during this tough period, Oscar could be your best bet. That is if you don’t own Hazard of course.
- Eriksen – He was looking great playing in behind Adebayor a couple of weeks ago. Then he got shoved out onto the wing, now he can’t even get a game. I don’t get Spurs, and I will be happy to jump of all their assets. Apart from Adebayor of course. Try to get him to Lallana or Gerrard, as I don’t really like the midpriced options. I guess Mirallas could be worth the punt, but he certainly doesn’t convince me. Sterling looks nailed on for Liverpool, and if you want to ride the roller coaster he could be a solid punt.
- Dawson – Dropped for Kaboul. Spurs dropped their captain. As I say, just dump them all!
- Negredo – F*** you Alvaro. Terrible trade, get rid of him!!! Adebayor the obvious, and wise swap.
- Dzeko – Another quick and clean kill. Jovetic looks good and he will be fighting for his spot, that is when City actually play. Get rid of him as well!
PLAYER OF THE WEEK:
Adebayor – So you thought I’d forgotten him? I tried my best to avoid this ever happening, however there is no point in tiptoeing around him any longer. With our striker options becoming thin due to blank GW’s, Adebayor keeps doing what he does best. Do what no one expects him to. An easy replacement for any Man City strikers you have, and probably a wise one for Benteke with Villa’s blank to come. The cheap striker of choice for those without gunning a big United striker.
That will be it from me this week. Watch what happens in the FA Cup tonight closely, I will update the fallout tomorrow! Cheers.