Hello and welcome to another addition of the News Wrap. We only have to wait one week for yet another DGW, something that should be factored in when considering your trades. It’s getting to the pointy end of the season now so attaining the 3 points for both EPL and FPL managers is crucial. Injury news and selection news is always present, you know the drill, lets analyse it!
- The biggest news emerging from the week of football is the injury to Belgium big man, Christian Benteke. The Villa striker unfortunately ruptured his achilles tendon in training yesterday, which will mean he not only misses the remainder of the season, but will also miss the World Cup. Shocking news for both Villa and Belgium.
- Ross Barkley copped a knock to his calf against Fulham last weekend, which has reportedly been troubling him during the week. Martinez said he is hopeful he will recover in time for this weekends crucial clash against Arsenal, saying he is ‘touch and go’ at the moment.
- Sergio Aguero gave an interesting response to about his return time, saying, “I’m trying to do my best to play again, I cannot hurry. If something happens, I will loose the rest of the EPL season and the World Cup.” Seems to be taking a far more cautious approach to his return this time around, I therefore wouldn’t be trading him in until he’s played at least 1 full game – injury free as well! He has been ruled out for this weekends game against Southampton but is targeting a return against Liverpool next weekend.
- Sissoko suffered a thigh injury against Southampton last weekend which has now been reported will see him miss around 3 weeks.
- Adebayor returned to training this week after missing last week’s demolition at the hands of Liverpool. Tim Sherwood is hopeful he will be available to face Sunderland on Monday.
- Maynor Figueroa is expected to return to action this weekend against Swansea after being troubled with an ankle injury.
- Vertonghen and Soldado have been ruled out of this Monday’s game against Sunderland, Sherwood is hopeful of a return next weekend.
- Arsene Wenger has confirmed that both Monreal and Ramsey have been included in the matchday squad against Everton this weekend. Ramsey was such a revelation for Arsenal this season and provided a very good option in FPL terms, however since suffering this ongoing injury he has been out since December and decreased significantly in price. Once he returns to full fitness he could be a very good option. Wenger also said that Gibbs and Gnabry will face a late fitness test due to ankle and knee complaints respectively.
- Garry Monk has confirmed that Swansea have no injury concerns ahead of their game against Hull this weekend.
- Ashley Cole returns to the Chelsea squad after missing the past few weeks through injury. Azpilicueta has been doing a fantastic job at left back this year and I don’t see that changing any time soon. Think Ashley’s days are becoming limited at Chelsea… Eto’o and Mikel will once again miss out.
Well that’s a wrap off all the injury and selection news ahead of a big gameweek 33. Next week is of course another DGW for Manchester City & Sunderland so trying to double up on a few decent options will definitely be worthwhile. Also be aware that Manchester United have a bye, meaning valuable assets in Rooney and Mata obviously wont play. Good luck for this weekend and I’ll be back again next week! Cheers.