Hello and welcome to another addition of the News Wrap. We’re fresh off the back of a double game week, unfortunately an unsuccessful one for most, meaning rotation could come into consideration this weekend. Frustrating niggles to key players seemed to be the main talking point of the double game week, lets get stuck into it and see if they’re likely to feature this weekend!
- David Silva and Yaya Toure were both absent in Manchester City’s shock 2-2 draw against Sunderland midweek. Toure’s injury was more obvious, with the news being known during the first half of the Liverpool game after the Ivory Coast star limped off early. Silva was under an injury cloud heading into the double, with news emerging he had been playing with a niggle for two weeks. Pellegrini saw the game against Sunderland as a chance to rest the Spaniard, resulting in lots of devastated managers! Toure is expected to be sidelined for around 10-14 days meaning he will miss the game against West Brom this weekend. Pellegrini added yesterday “Yaya is improving but it is a massive injury so it is difficult for him to be back so soon.” I’d say trade. He’s drastically dropping in price and for those currently running a City defender and two City midfielders now have the chance to dump Yaya and squeeze in Aguero… That’s what I’ve done anyway. Pellegrini said in the same press conference yesterday “We continue with the same situation with Yaya, Silva and Navas. The three of them are injured for the moment.” Silva is currently rated a 25% chance to play on the Fantasy Premier League website which doesn’t look good. I’d say he’s probably in for another rest according to these latest developments.
- Daniel Sturridge is another key causality from last weekend’s blockbuster between Liverpool and Manchester City. The striker withdrew early from the game thanks to a hamstring injury. The news is that its not at all serious and that he could play this weekend. However Rogers is likely to rest him in anticipation for the big game against Chelsea the following weekend. Likely to be rested this weekend I’d say…
- Hazard has been ruled out of the game against Sunderland this weekend with the same calf injury that kept him out of last weeks trip to Swansea. The Belgium man is a chance to return for the game against Athletico Madrid midweek if not then a return next weekend in the Premier League seems reasonable.
- Kieran Gibbs has been ruled out of this weekends trip to Hull after sustaining an injury during the week. Ozil and Monreal ‘could’ be available this weekend according to Wenger. Highly unlikely they’ll start if they do play. A spot on the bench seems likely… at best.
- Alan Pardew is hopeful that Newcastle pair, Remy and Debuchy will be available for this weekend’s game against Swansea. The pair have been sidelined for an extended period of time and a return this weekend with be a major boost, especially if Remy returns.
- Rafael has been ruled out of the game against Everton this weekend while Jonny Evans is apparently ‘making progress’ but is not expected to feature on the weekend. Fellaini is expected to return as well, a spot on the bench most likely.
- Arthur Boruc is hopeful of a return this weekend after missing the last 2 games due to injury. He has trained strongly this week and is confident he can return against Aston Villa this weekend.
- David Moyes has suggested that Wayne Rooney will be fit for the game against Everton this weekend after the bruising has gone and pain has subsided. There were initial reports he would miss 1-2 weeks but Moyes has said that he will be fit and that he has trained strongly all week. Big return considering RVP’s ongoing absence.
Well that’s the latest wrap of all the current injuries and selection news ahead of a big gameweek 35. Some possible key absences in Toure, Silva and Sturridge but a welcomed return for gun Wayne Rooney. Good luck this weekend, let’s hope we all fair better than last weekend! Cheers.