Hello and welcome to another addition of the News Wrap. With only 2 more gameweeks left it really is make or break time. Do you play it safe or do you pick a POD to rise above the rankings? The days of playing it safe are probably past us, its full throttle until the end of the season! Anyway, enough of that, lets get stuck into the latest news!
- Wayne Rooney has emerged as a doubt for this weekends game against Sunderland. In what is massive news ahead of a tantalising double game week for Manchester United his owners will be sweating bullets in anticipation for team news. If he does miss out against Sunderland he will likely recover and feature against Hull midweek. Allegedly he left training early on Thursday so he may not be risked against Sunderland if that is the case. Giggs said on Friday “A few of the lads have had a bug. Wayne Rooney has. Anders Lindegaard has. Wayne also has a tight groin too.” He continued by saying “You have to be careful because the immune system is down, Wayne being Wayne wants to play. We’ll monitor it over the next 24 hours” With the World Cup less than 45 days away I’d say Rooney is a massive sniff to be rested, especially if he does have a tight groin… He will have a late fitness test so definitely captain with caution!!
- Leighton Baines was substituted early last weekend against Southampton after copping a knock and was amid speculation he may miss this weekends clash against Manchester City. He has trained during the weekend and is expected to be right for the game. Expect him to play. Pienaar has returned to training this week and is a chance to return from injury. Unlikely he’ll start, expect a spot on the bench if he plays.
- Robin Van Persie has returned to training this week. He has been building his fitness base after missingthe past 6 weeks through injury. The Dutchman won’t start the first game against Sunderland of United’s double but is certainly a chance to return against Hull midweek. Wait and see at the moment.
- John Terry and Eden Hazard both returned in the Champions League midweek after suffering injuries. It was somewhat of a surprising decision but both players got through the game well and are definitely likely to start this weekend against Norwich. Samuel Eto’o did not play midweek however but is targeting a return this weekend against Norwich. He loves scoring at home so it wouldn’t surprise me if Mourinho selects him to start…If he plays at all of course…
- Jesus Navas has a chance to miss City’s remaining 3 fixtures. He has been struggling with an ongoing ankle injury and Pellegrini might opt to rest the winger in preparation for an uninterrupted World Cup. There hasn’t been anything definitive but looking more and more likely.
- Swansea have confirmed this week that full back Angel Rangel will miss the remaining 2 gams of the season after suffering a groin injury in last weekend’s hammering of Aston Villa.
- Michu has been ruled out for the reminder of the season after failing to gain sufficient match fitness. Garry Monk said that if the last two games of the season were crucial he could have played with injections, but considering they are seemingly ‘dead rubbers’ he thought better of it and has sent him
- back to Spain for continued treatment. Hopefully he’s at a bargain price next year!
- Rickie Lambert will face a late fitness test tomorrow after Pochettino revealed, “Maybe it is better for him to come off the bench”. The Englishman picked up a knock in last week’s win over Everton so at his age they are seemingly taking the cautious approach, especially with the end of the season right around the corner.
- In what has been a drastic turn of events, David Silva has been included in the match day squad to take on Everton this weekend. During the week Silva was set to miss another 10-14 days meaning a return next week was seemingly the case but apparently he has recovered well and will be available. Someone of his quality and with the World Cup just around the corner I’d say it’s unlikely for him to start. A spot on the bench seems the likely outcome!
- Daniel Sturridge will look to regain his starting XI spot after not starting a game for over two weeks. The striker had been struggling with a hamstring injury and returned via the bench in last weekend’s loss to Chelsea. Should be right to return to the starting XI in a must win clash against Crystal Palace.
- Hull have a full squad to pick from this weekend apart from long term injuries to McGregor, McShane and Brady. However those three are all targeting a shock return in the upcoming FA Cup final against Arsenal.
- Ryan Shawcross will be out for Stoke this weekend after receiving his marching orders in last week’s narrow defeat against Tottenham. Will return for the final game of the season.
- Oscar is a chance to return this weekend after missing out on the Liverpool and Athletico Madrid games. He has been battling with a hip problem so will face a late fitness test before the game against Norwich this weekend. Will all depend on how he pulls up after the test.
Well that’s the latest wrap of all the injuries and team news ahead of a big game week 37. Liverpool face a tough trip to Crystal Palace while Manchester City face a trip to Everton. This title race is well and truly open so it’s another big week in football. Good luck and I’ll be back for the final addition of the News Wrap next week, Cheers!