The Captains – GW10

captains

It’s that time of week again, and it’s set to be a massive round! Just quickly, thanks for your support on the recent posts, it means a lot. Everybody is entitled to their own opinions, but try to keep criticism constructive. We have no problem with people differing with what we write, but from now on I will try to delete any abuse, it has no place here. If you don’t like what’s written, feel free to not use our site. The last thing we want is endless fights to break out in the comments. Please try to ignore it! By responding you are doing them a favour. With that out of the way, let’s go about finding our number 1 pick for this week…

The Contenders:

To be perfectly honest, there isn’t that many outside contenders this week who take my fancy. As I suggested last week, Liverpool’s form makes them a no go zone for captaincy, backed up by their 0-0 draw at home to Hull. Newcastle are playing well at the moment and this will be a tough game, although there is the potential for goals. Sterling can be considered. Welbeck isn’t showing enough right now for me to suggest even owning him, let alone giving him the armband. He needs to lift this week. Chelsea should roll QPR, so guys like Fabregas and Hazard have to be in your plans. If you’re desperate for a captain from this game and don’t own Costa, these guys are a great shout. Baines is on a hot streak currently, but Everton aren’t quite solid enough for me to trust him with the armband just yet. Hull are extremely solid at home so Southampton will face a tough test this week, I’m avoiding. The only other game for captaincy options is the Manchester Derby, which can go either way. With Silva out I don’t really trust City’s options. Di Maria is certainly a bloke who could exploit the light blues defensive weaknesses and  would be my fourth best option for the week. Don’t write him off due to the fixture.

Top 3:

1. Costa – He’s back this week, and straight into the number 1 slot. Mourinho has pumped him up so I’m almost certain he will play a good chunk of the game, we’ve already seen what kind of devastation he can do to the opposition. You have to be confident giving him the armband this week. Lock it in.

2. Sanchez – Alexis is a man in-form currently, and the stat that gives me the confidence to make him number 2 this week is that he contributes to 70% of Arsenal’s goals. That’s ridiculous, it does however show how much Arsenal are struggling. Even so they should knock over Burnley at home, and with goals expected you can also expect Sanchez to be among the points. He did it for me at number 2 last week and hopefully he can do it again!

3. Aguero – Slotting in at number 3 is my personal captaincy pick for the week. Ok, so he let us down last week. That cut back miss from 4 yards still haunts me at night. I’m confident however that it won’t happen again, and he loves the big occasion. He will certainly miss Silva’s presence, but that shouldn’t stop him. Just quietly, what the hell was Pellegrini thinking playing him in the Capital One Cup? A trophy which is “meaningless” according to Man City. Madness! I think City will struggle without Silva and that’s why Kun has dropped to number 3, but you can still be confident owning him.

The Punt:

Ivanovic – I thought it was time to go for a real outsider as a punt, and Ivanovic is just that. Yes he has been poor of late, and that red card followed by Chelsea conceading is probably the worst 2 minutes of fpl I’ve had to endure. However he sat out his ban midweek and will be a man on a mission against QPR. Surely Chelsea will keep a clean sheet here and you wouldn’t deny him a goal or assist. If you’re a gambler, this could be one for you.

That wraps it up for this week. Good luck to everyone this weekend, surely it will be better than the last. Let’s hope these guys can do the business for us! Cheers.

36 comments on “The Captains – GW10

1. dineth says:

thoughts on Aguero or Costa up front, surely no room/cash to have both so if not, which one is the best option. (got aguero atm)

2. viper086 says:

Liking pelle this week. He is pretty solid week in week out and not ready to trust Costa yet

3. rostie says:

Thx Matt. Aguero for me.
    Did much happen on this site while I’ve been away 😉

4. Jason says:

Great article Matt! I’m thinking of locking in Costa. Anyway, a quick question

Siggy or Downing on the field?

5. theultimateandy says:

Gave Sanchez the armband… thank fook for that!

Keep up the great work guys!

As for this week in currently on 77 with DiMaria & Eriksen to come!

I took massive punt and took 8 point hit this week, was more to try fix few glaring issues and set up for next few weeks.. Well this is what I did…

OUT: Costa, Shawcross, Siggy = 5 points

IN: Sanchez, Chambers, Sakho = 50 points.

Fair to say it paid off quite well! I traded in Sakho early before found out he was injured but he should be right next week so not worried.

7. Nathan says:

Here is my team any advice going forward any changes to be made
    Forster
    Baines Ivanovic Taylor chambers duff
    Fab siggy tadic Barkley Tiote
    Costa aguero berahino

Thanks

8. luckypunk05 says:

Finally some transfers who paid off
    took a -16 hit with a 92 points result….not bad!!

Eriksen and di Maria left to put the roof on fire

Forster 6

Coleman 9
    Baines 7
    Chambers 18

Eriksen AVL (A)
    Di María MCI (A)
    Tadic 3
    Oscar 10
    Sánchez 32
    Pellè 2
    Welbeck 5

9. Bio Eden Hazard says:

Sterling+Di Maria –> Sanchez+Chadli?

Are Sanchez and Baines worth a -8? or wait till next week and only take a -4.
    Baines’ form is undeniable and Matt has done a decent job in persuading me these last couple of weeks, ive been blindsided! Sunderland could be tasty for Baines and Swansea alike for Sanchez.
    2FT hence why its only -8 this week/

11. theultimateandy says:

On 75pts with Jedinak to play tonight… on 74pts now. lol

12. Thinking of leaving Sterling on the bench against Chelsea, and bringing Wanyama on. Thoughts?

13. Rakshit says:

Howard (Myhill)
    Coloccini Clyne Wisdom (Shawcross Bartley)
    Fabregas Di Maria Sterling Tadic (Albrighton)
    Costa Aguero Sakho

Have 2 FTs. Looking to do Sterling + Tadic–> Sanchez + Downing. 0.0 left.

Thoughts?