Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the News Wrap. We’re heading into a big gameweek 11 before yet another annoying international break! With European football on during the week there are bound to be news in the injury department. Let’s have a look.
- Manchester City left back Aleksandar Kolarov will face a month on the sidelines after the fullback injured his calf in the warm up before the Manchester Derby. The Serbian International was set to start against United but injured himself in the warm up and obviously wasn’t able to continue. Turns out his replacement Gael Clichy performed just as admirably, assisting the Aguero goal and getting all 3 FPL Bonus Points! Clichy will have the left back position locked down for the next 3-4 games.
- Arsenal midfielder Mikel Arteta “has done a hamstring” according to Arsene Wenger and is set to be sidelined indefinitely. Wenger added to his statement, “I don’t know what is wrong or how long he will be out for.” Will definitely miss the game against Swansea this weekend as more comprehensive news should emerge over the weekend/early next week. Looking likely he’ll return after the International Break.
- Sunderland fullback Patrick Van Aanholt suffered a frustrating dislocation of his shoulder on Monday night against Crystal Palace. After a solid season thus far the Dutchman is set to be sidelined for an extended period of time. Frustrating news after finally nailing down a starting XI spot for a Premier League team.
- After playing a massive part into Newcastle’s resurrection, Gabriel Obertan is set to be sidelined for 3-4 months after having surgery on a ruptured thigh. In devastating news for the Toon, Pardew said “We’re all sad for Gabby, he’s been a massive part of what we have done recently.”
- Manchester City skipper Vincent Kompany will miss the game against QPR this weekend after injuring his calf. The Belgium International is expected to miss their upcoming friendlies so hopefully should recover over the break and be available to face Swansea in gameweek 12.
- After dislocating his shoulder in the Manchester Derby last weekend, United defender Marcos Rojo is expected to be sidelined for at least a month. Van Gaal is hoping the defender should return in around 6 weeks though. Looking likely to return in the New Year.
- Christian Benteke only returned to football for the first time in months a few weeks back but is already facing another stint on the sidelines. This time however, it’s through the form of suspension rather than injury. The Belgium International was shown a soft straight red card during Villa’s 2-1 loss to Tottenham on Sunday. As a result the striker will now miss the entire League fixtures during November and will return to face Crystal Palace in December.
- Chris Smalling is also unavailable this weekend due to suspension after the centre half was sent off in last weekend’s Manchester Derby. Will only miss the game against Crystal Palace this weekend. Evans, Jones, Rojo, Falcao and Rafael all miss through injury.
- After injuring himself in the game against Tottenham, Manchester City midfielder Frank Lampard is set to return against QPR this weekend. The ageing veteran has been plagued with thigh problems since the Tottenham game and is finally set to return this weekend. A spot on the bench seems the likely course of action.
- The Hammers have been handed a boost ahead of their game against Aston Villa this weekend with news emerging that star signing Diafra Sakho and key centre half Winston Reid are set to return this weekend. Sakho missed last weekends stalemate against Stoke last weekend, and as predicted is looking like making his return against Aston Villa this weekend. Allardyce said “Winston did not train Monday but will train later in the week and Diafra ran individually – he will be available for the game.”
- Ahead of a massive game against Manchester City, QPR have received a boost with the news emerging that Barton, Kanjcar, Mutch and Onuoha are all fit to return against the Champions. Good news for Arry and The R’s as they look to replicate CSKA Moscow and upset City.
- Southampton have a fully fit squad to choose from this weekend against Leicester as they have no new injuries to report of. James Ward-Prowse and Jay Rodriguez the only players in the medical room.
Well that’s a wrap of the latest injury and team news ahead of a big gameweek 11. Thankfully there are no big injuries to key players this week to report of… Let’s hope it stays that way!! News has emerged overnight that Diego Costa has not ben selected for Spain’s upcoming friendlies…. Hallelujah! Will be good for the striker to have some rest time! Good luck for this weekend and enjoy the international break…As pointless as they are! Feel free to post any last-minute questions in the comments below. Cheers!