Hello and welcome to another edition of the News Wrap. We’re fresh off a double gameweek which, for most, was successful if you played it safe and captained the Kane Train. Chelsea’s double gameweek has also been announced, with their catch-up game being played in gameweek 34 against Arsenal and Leicester away. With the return of European football during the week there always is news regarding injuries and form, let’s take a look ahead of a big gameweek 29!
- Robin Van Persie is set to be sidelined for around 4-6 weeks after sustaining an ankle injury against Swansea all the way back in gameweek 26. The Dutchman was seen hobbling on crutches leaving the Liberty Stadium after the game, however the seriousness of the injury is only now being fully disclosed, with United set to be without their main man for a touch over a month, even longer depending on his recover. Not good when Rooney is playing in midfield and Falcao is playing U/21’s!
- Arsenal’s January signing, Gabriel, will be sidelined for the next 2-3 weeks after scans confirmed he sustained a minor injury to his hamstring. Is most likely targeting a return against Liverpool in gameweek 31.
- Arsenal have been dealt a double injury blow, with news that Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain will face a minimum of 3 weeks on the sidelines after suffering a hamstring strain at Old Trafford during the week. Dependent on how he reacts to his recover will determine whether it’s just the three weeks he is sidelined for or whether it’s even longer.
- Christian Benteke is set to face a last minute fitness test ahead of Villa’s trip to Sunderland this weekend after the Belgian suffered a hip injury in their FA Cup clash against West Brom last week. If he passes the fitness test with no trouble then he will be available for selection. All down to the fitness test at this stage.
- West Ham will be without centre half James Tomkins for some time after he dislocated his shoulder in training during the week. It is unknown how long he will be sidelined for but at this stage it is looking like an extended period. In extremely strange circumstances, Enner Valencia will miss this weekend’s game against Arsenal after he lacerated his foot by treading on a tea cup… I guess I’ve heard of stranger things? Will miss this weeks game anyway, hopeful of a return next weekend.
- Angel Di Maria will be unavailable for United’s game against Tottenham this weekend after the Argentine was sent off during their 2-1 FA Cup defeat against Arsenal during the week. This latest incident sums up Di Maria’s current form and is only adding fuel to the fire of outsiders labeling him as a £60m Thankfully Falcao is performing even worse than Di Maria, so the majority of the media hype is surrounding him. Di Maria will be available for the game against Liverpool next weekend.
- Nemanja Matic will be available for Chelsea’s game against Southampton this weekend after serving his two-match ban for the red card he received against Burnley in gameweek 26. The Serbian midfielder returned against PSG during the week so would be expected to slot straight into the starting XI once again for the league clash against Southampton.
- The FA have confirmed during the week that hefty suspensions are to be handed out to both Pappis Cisse and Jonny Evans after the pair were caught spitting at each other in their midweek league clash. Cisse is set to be suspended for 7 games while Evans will be unavailable for United’s next 6. Poor form boys.
- Liverpool have received a massive boost ahead of their trip to Swansea this weekend with news that trio Steven Gerrard, Martin Skrtel and Joe Allen are all set to be available after recovering from their respective problems. Will all be available should Rogers elect to pick them.
- Alan Hutton will be unavailable for the game against Sunderland this weekend after the fullback has accumulated his 10th yellow card for the season. Will be available against Swansea in gameweek 30.
- Chelsea have no fresh injury concerns after their Champions League exit during the week, with Mourinho saying, “there are zero injuries. Everybody wants to play.” Expect a strong lineup against Southampton.
Well that wraps up another edition of the News Wrap. Good luck this weekend and feel free to post any last minute selection queries in the comments below. Cheers!