Hello and welcome to another edition of the News Wrap. It was a week summed up by the return to the scorers sheet of King Sergio….Typical that I traded him out this week!!! It’s carnage this week with Liverpool, Arsenal, Aston Villa and Sunderland all not playing in the Premier League this weekend. With these upcoming byes it’s going to be crucial that everyone that is playing is fit and firing. Let’s take a look at who is available and who isn’t ahead of gameweek 33.
- Loic Remy was a shock absentee from the starting XI for Chelsea against QPR last weekend, with the Frenchman missing the game due to a calf injury sustained during the week. There was no news in the lead up to the game regarding Remy’s fitness, or lack there of, so when the team news was released on Saturday it was a bit of a shock not to see Remy lining up against his former club. The news emerging from the club have indicated that it was only a minor injury he sustained but Mourinho still said that he “doesn’t know if he will be available to feature against Manchester United this weekend. Will face a late fitness test but is hopeful he will play.
- Manchester City could be without skipper Vincent Kompany for up to a month after the center half was forced to leave the pitch early in the Manchester Derby last weekend after sustaining a thigh injury. Kompany was replaced at half time in the derby and all reports are suggesting he definitely wont feature against West Ham this weekend, with an extended stint on the sidelines the most likely scenario. This could actually be a blessing in disguise for City, who remarkably are a lot more solid in defense without their captain. An interesting one that’s for sure.
- Swansea will be without their main target man up front, Bafetimbi Gomis, for around a month after he suffered a hamstring tear against Everton last weekend. He has been in exceptional form of late so this will be a very big miss for the Swans.
- Louis Van Gaal confirmed during the week that Michael Carrick, Marcos Rojo, Phil Jones and Daley Blind would all be unavailable for Manchester United’s big game against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge this weekend. Interestingly enough, the gaffer also mentioned that it may force skipper Wayne Rooney to drop into a holding midfield role, something he has worked on at various stages this season. In some good news for United, it seems that Robin Van Persie is finally set to return from injury, with him likely to take up a spot on the bench.
- Pellegrini has confirmed during the week that Jovetic, Bony, Clichy, Milner and Kompany will all miss the game against West Ham this weekend through injury.
- Kyle Walker, Hugo Lloris and Jan Vertonghen will all face respective fitness tests before their game against Newcastle this weekend as the trio are all dealing with separate ongoing problems. If they get through their fitness tests before the game on Saturday they should be right to return, however any setback will see them not risked against the Toon. Pochettino did say on the matter however, “we have another training session tomorrow. All three are doubts.” Not looking like they’ll get up.
Well that wraps up another edition of the News Wrap. Somewhat of a shortened edition this week with Liverpool, Arsenal, Sunderland and Aston Villa involved in FA Cup action over the weekend. Good luck this week, we’re probably going to need it! Cheers.