Hello and welcome to the penultimate edition of the News Wrap for season 2014/15. Sorry for my little hiatus over the past few weeks, I have been flat out with work and have hardly had time to scratch myself – let alone pump out an article! Anywho, I’m back now, and let’s get cracking on another edition of the News Wrap!
- The biggest news that has emerged during the week is that Everton will now be without Leighton Baines for the remainder of the season, with a return set for sometime during pre-season. The left back suffered damage to his ankle ligaments last weekend and thus has had his campaign cut short, albeit only marginally.
- Wayne Rooney could only manage a half against Crystal Palace last weekend after the United skipper was substituted during the interval with a leg injury. Van Gaal has confirmed that it was only a dead leg that was causing the striker discomfort however that he also would not be available for the game against Arsenal this weekend. In some good news for the Red Devils at least, Robin Van Persie and Angel Di Maria will both return to the squad after dealing with respective injuries.
- Ahead of Arsenal’s double gameweek this weekend many managers will be sweating on the fitness of midfield dynamo Aaron Ramsey, with the Welshman battling a knock sustained against Swansea on Monday night. Arsene Wenger said during the week that he had not trained, however expected him to be available for the game against Manchester United. If he doesn’t get up, he should make their catch-up game against Sunderland 3 days later. Danny Welbeck won’t make a return this weekend against his former employers because according to Arsene Wenger “looks short” of full fitness. Will be touch and go for the game against Sunderland.
- Jose Mourinho has ruled out Oscar, Ramires and Kurt Zouma for the remaining two games of the season as they all deal with separate injuries. They aren’t believed to be overly serious so a return for pre-season training will be well and truly on the cards. In some good news for Chelsea, Mourinho confirmed that star striker Diego Costa is a chance to return to the squad on Monday against West Brom after missing the last 6 games through injury.
- Southampton will be without both Dusan Tadic and Morgan Schneiderlin for their game against Aston Villa this weekend as they both continue to deal with groin and knee injuries respectively. They are hoping to return before seasons end against Manchester City on the final day of the season.
- Southampton will welcome back James Ward-Prowse this weekend after he was shown a red card against Sunderland in gameweek 35. Will be a handy addition to the Saints’ midfield considering the absences of Tadic and Schneiderlin.
- Tottenham will be without Vlad Chiriches this weekend against Hull after he was sent off in last weekend’s dismal performance against Stoke. He will be unavailable this weekend however will be available for the final game of the season against Everton should he be selected.
- Daryl Janmaat will be available for selection against QPR this weekend after serving his one match ban last weekend for his sending off against Leicester in gameweek 35. He will be a handy addition for the Toon as they set off for Loftus Road in a must win affair should they want to be in the Premiership next season.
- Hull City have suspended midfielder Jake Livermore ahead of their game against Tottenham this weekend after he tested positive to cocaine during the week. Not great news for a Hull side trying to avoid relegation…
Well that wraps up another edition of the News Wrap. Good luck this weekend and feel free to post any last minute selection queries in the comments below. Cheers!