FPL Rule Changes

Screen Shot 2015-07-13 at 18.04.45

You will have noticed one major change when you logged in this season, the addition of ‘chips’. That wasn’t all! There have been a few other alterations to the rules that may have slipped under the radar. Fear not, after reading this you should be all over it. I initially intended to have all the changes covered in 1 article, but it turned into a novel. I will release an article covering the chips tomorrow. For now we have plenty to talk about… Let’s get into 2015/16 planning shall we!

Wildcards

There has been a major upgrade to how we can use our wildcards, and to be honest it’s common sense. There’s no doubt it will have huge implications on how you utilize your biggest weapon, especially early in the season. Here are the changes…

Managers will get 2 wildcards per season, just like last year. However, the January wildcard has been scrapped. Rather than being forced to use a wildcard during January, we now get more flexibility. Managers can now use their second wildcard anytime from GW20 through until the final GW38. As you should all know, wildcards never stack. This means we must now use our original wildcard between gameweeks 1-19. That’s a game changer, and here’s why.

Previously, many people held onto their wildcard so they could use it late in the season when double gameweeks are announced. This was a huge advantage and reason enough to hold strong early in the season whilst bandwagons form. Seeing as there will be no DGW’s before GW19, that advantage goes out the door. Suddenly an early wildcard is all the more tempting. Personally I could never hold it anyway, but it provided a differential between players. Some would change their teams up early, others would stick with their pre-season squad. The likeliest result is that far more teams will use an early wildcard, during or before the first international break. Sure you could hold it, but using a wildcard just before a transfer window is dangerous. We can worry about the second wildcard when GW20 rolls around, for now we need to plan around our first one. It’s early days and I will cover wildcard tactics in closer detail later. Having said that, if Aguero and Sanchez miss the first couple of games then I already have my mind made up for me. It will be interesting for sure…

Bonus Point System

It wouldn’t be a new season of FPL without some changes to the BPS. This year, I love what they’ve done. Often, the system has been weighted heavily in favour of attackers and midfielders. Defenders could sweep up the 0-0’s, while keepers hardly got a look in at all. That’s all about to change. Before we get into the changes, here’s a brief summary of how the system works. Players get ‘points’ for actions during the game, either positive or negative. The top 3 players get awarded bonus points, self-explanatory. You can see the full list of allocations on the official website under rules. That should bring you up to speed. For 2015/16 there are 3 major changes. (Remember when I speak of points here, these don’t count towards your players score!)

Number 1. Keepers now get 2 points for every save, not 1. Hallelujah! Cheap keepers occasionally got amongst the bonus, but it was a rare occurrence. This change immediately improves the possibilities of the cheap keeper tactic. This tactic has worked superbly for me over the past couple of seasons, there’s no doubt I will be doing it again now! This could have negative ramifications for defenders in teams who concede a lot of shots on target, but shot stoppers come right to the fore. Don’t fear for the defenders, they get their boosts as well…

Second change. Defenders now get a point for every 2 CBI’s (Clearance, block and interception) they make instead of 3. To put this into perspective, Ashley Williams made over 600 CBI’s last season. Secondly, defenders now get 2 points for every tackle, not just 1. Huge! On one hand this change could balance out the advantage that was weighted towards keepers, but overall it definitely improves the prospects of your defensive options both in goal and in defence. They are now far more likely to be rewarded bonus for a clean sheet, bare that in mind when selecting your squads. Watch out for the return of dominant centre backs…

As for the final final alteration, midfielders can wave goodbye to some cheapies! Whilst defenders and keepers have received a boost, numerous players will be harshly affected by the changes to how passing completion and accuracy is rewarded. Previously when players made at least 30 passes at 70% they got 3 points, 6 for 80% and 9 for a passing accuracy of 90% or better. That is now 2, 4 and 6 respectively. Players like Toure and Fabregas will be hurt by this change, however goals and assists will still reward them handsomely. I think this change will have the biggest affect on defenders from top teams. Take Koscielny for example. He would have 30 passes at better than 90% completion with his eyes closed. That extra reward being guaranteed almost every week is now forfeited slightly. He will still receive 6 points and benefit from the changes to CBI’s and tackles. It will be interesting to see how this plays out; this final change will mostly affect players from top teams who often win the majority of possession.

My final thoughts? I’d say the changes balance out for the top defenders. They were already favoured by the BPS last season, for example Koscielny managed 15 bonus points in just 25 games. I’d expect much of the same this year, I doubt there will be improvement but it’s nothing to worry about either. The changes will have the greatest effect on cheap keepers and defenders. Both will benefit!

Let these rule changes sink in whilst selecting your squads. A good manager is always prepared; lucky for us we should get some bonus point indications during pre-season. As for the wildcards, be sure to use them wisely! I will be back tomorrow to break down the 3 chips, until then happy tinkering season!

Cheers guys, it’s good to be back for another season… Let the countdown begin.

This entry was posted in Tactics.

29 comments on “FPL Rule Changes

1. chopyouup says:

good to know this definitely changes what I was thinking to do with my team.

2. Nice work! Suppose a Fabianksi Schiemcal GK rotation would be so bad as they are 2nd and 4th in the Saves per Min ratio. And rotate every GW

• bonusfpl says:

wouldn’t*

Cheers! Would be solid. I’m not sold on rotating that pair, I reckon Fabianski good enough to start! 7 of Swansea’s 13 clean sheets came away from home. Rotation of a 4.5 pair tempting. I really like Krul under a new manager, people forget he missed 8 games last season. Didn’t keep a single cs without him

3. Widders says:

Solid Gold as always Matt. Based on the goalkeeper saves bonus, what do you think to the crazy idea of rotating cheap goalkeepers so that they always face the ‘toughest’ game. So you’d steer them towards the Arsenal and Man City games rather than easy games so they rack up more save points. Or am I being daft…

Thanks mate. Haha, not the worst idea. I’m thinking more along the lines of having just 1 cheap option to hold down the fort. The hard games are likely to produce save points, and won’t miss out on any clean sheets. Remember though, the changes will only help if their team actually keeps a clean sheet! So yeah… Actually it’s a terrible idea. Right thought process though 😛

4. nalhcal99 says:

is it worth picking (off the top of my head) Kasper Schmeichel over Cech due to potentially more saves due to be not as good squad?

Cheers mate. We have to be careful. Yes making more saves means cheaper keepers are more likely to get bonus points IF they keep a clean sheet. I think the 1.0 saved is worth it if you pick the right cheap option. It’s risky, Cech is safe. It really depends what the 1.0 gets you!

5. nalhcal99 says:

nice read by the way

These cards are gonna be so OP! Someones gonna play em all in one week and possibly score over 200, its gonna be fun. I like the wildcard idea, and after a few weeks when Sanchez and Aguero come back, its gonna be interesting…

7. nalhcal99 says:

matt are you going for a set and forget goalie (cech) or rotating goalie (krul and ??) or going for 1 cheap goalie to try and get them BP?

8. baysietoff says:

A+++. Way to set the bar Matt haha…

I’m not entirely convinced “yet” that it will be worth it in the long run to go with a “second tier” keeper. I’m happy to set and forget one of the big guns and bank the clean sheet points. If the difference in value was more than 0.5m then yeah but it’s not a great deal for added certainty.

The defenders on the other hand, now that does open up some possibilities. My draft team already had Williams, and Lescott who could get amongst those BPs, and you’ve reaffirmed my decision in them!

Still a month to go however haha

Haha cheers Baysie. Pantillimon and Mannone have been so good for me that I think I’ll stick with again, the BPS changes are only an added bonus. Krul looks tasty so I plan on saving 1.0, there’s a lot you can do with 1.0! Those cheap centre backs are hugely tempting, agreed.

Just read a great article by fantasy football scout. They analysed the figures for the bonus point changes. No surprises that keepers benefitted the most, surprisingly the cheap centre backs didn’t seem to gain much. Perhaps the keepers took their extra bp’s?

Yeah scouring through some of their stuff now… Maybe I will consider it. Might go Myhill (was good to me last season haha) with a save every 17.7 mins v Pants’ 23.7… See if I can use that cash elsewhere before I make my mind up.

Damn it… It means I can get Cabaye to Payet, and Benteke to Kane. Looks like Myhill gets a gig 😀

9. lochie_99 says:

Matt are you also the writer for dttalk!? so you’re an Australian based website?

10. auguidub says:

Reblogged this on Gunners' Fantasy and commented:
    Hi there!
    FPL season 2015-16 is now open and as usual there are couple of changes to the game.
    Matt from FPL addicts takes you through the important ones, below.
    Augui