The Writers Side – GW3

liambednarskitwitterphoto

FPL writers tend to prescribe ideas writer @liambednarski is taking a gestalt approach opening the door to the inner workings of his team.

FPL is full of people advising on strategies, transfers and starting line ups each week. It certainly has its advantages particularly for the ego of the writer but it doesn’t help with the complex situations we face within the game.

You would be hard pressed to find two people who have the exact same team let alone make the same transfer decisions. FPL is an individual game yet you are also competing against everyone else. For those that have ever graced the humble greens of a golf course you would be able to relate. You beat yourself up with every poor putt or transfer. A wild drive off the tee or an eight point hit gone wrong.

Essentially you are competing against yourself so my words of wisdom are

‘Go with your gut’

Remember that everybody makes mistakes and that there are few true experts of the game of football. Especially those with a fantasy football swing on things.

The Writers Side – GW2 Review

It was again a mighty relief to secure 67 points in GW2 after failing to bring in Zlatan Ibrahimovic. It has well and truly ended those faint dreams of first place leaving me to slowly claw my way towards the top end of the rankings.

Andre Gray was the delightful selection this week rewarding my pre season faith with a 10 point haul against Liverpool. Perhaps I should have researched his twitter feed with the impending suspension by the FA…

Fuchs teased me from the bench in as I broke policy in benching a premium defender. Jakupovic was sneering as well with Maloney well and truly earning his spot as third sub this week. 26 points on the pine, hindsight bias states it was a clear bench boost winner this week.

Elsewhere Ramirez came off after 59 minutes with a knock, in a week full of teases the Middlesborough midfielder only needed an additional minute to earn two more points for my side. Tadic was again the underlying king whilst Firmino went missing not as much as Vardy has though.

Aguero’s captaincy saved the day as McAuley added a goal to go with Shaw’s strong performance for United. There is lots to improve on but I am not disappointed with 67 points this week, it could have been much worse.

IMG_0005

The Writers Side – GW2 Transfer Thoughts

Instant Ibrahamovic regret was on hand as I quickly pulled the trigger on bringing him into my side. I watched the highlights on Saturday morning and he was in my team before I finished watching the video at 11.5.

There were more questions then answers coming out of Liverpool after GW2 after an invisible performance from their midfield, well besides Coutinho who shoots from such difficult positions. A worldly doesn’t count as two mate.

Firmino was invisible with Hazard top of ‘The Watchlist’ and about to rise in price action had to be taken. Starting with three Leicester players always had the potential to hurt with funds needed Fuchs made his way out of my side for the bargain basement option in Amat.

The decision on Hazard over Barkley was not an easy one with Barkley scoring a free kick in the EFL Cup (League Cup) this week it has only added to the tension.

Here are my thoughts looking ahead. Like a game of chess I am already planning my next move, well considering it at the very least.

The most underpriced asset currently appears to be Barkley.

Mahrez is on short notice in my side with Barkley (7.8) enabling 1.7 million worth of funds to potentially upgrade Friend to a (5-5.5) defensive prospect.

That would leave me with a sticky situation in midfield if Tadic doesn’t start performing or if I wanted to bring in Lukaku as a third striker once he hits form.

Then I would be stuck with Barkley & Lukaku which is not ideal, diversification is preferred. It is generally better to have one attacking asset from a club.

Looking several moves ahead Barkley / Lukaku seem a must and they should score more points then an extra defender. Therefore if I move Mahrez on I will most likely hold the extra funds before deciding what to do with Tadic (possible downgrade on the cards say Redmond to fund Gray to Lukaku).

The Writers Side – Early Wildcard Consideration

I reminder that in pre-season I decided it best to activate an early wildcard for the first time. Generally I wait until getting a good read on early season form in a rather pragmatic approach. As with last weeks thoughts I am firmly in the mindset that slightly later will be better for my side.

Price changes have kicked in but certain bandwagons are still yet to be fully established. A lot can happen and will in GW3 with the quality of performances impacting on this wildcard decision. It is rare I take such a short term view.

The Writers Side – Final Decision

GW2 trades were all made with lightening speed as soon as the final whistle blew on the weekends matches to avoid any changes in price. It would have been best for you as readers to know this information early to assist with your own transfers. I shall be working on writing timelines in the future.

Vardy (10.0) transferred to Ibrahimovic (11.5)

Fuchs (5.5) transferred to Amat (4.0)

Firmino (8.5) transferred to Hazard (10.0)

No Cash in Bank

Negative four (-4) points due to three transfers

The Writers Side – GW 3 Line Up

Aguero again snaffles the armband whilst Tadic looks to open his account against Sunderland at home. Whilst Mahrez and Hazard look set to entertain in home comforts with Zlatan looking to rattle Hull City. Interesting week ahead best of luck with your teams and your transfers. As always leave your questions below for discussion.

IMG_0006

24 comments on “The Writers Side – GW3

1. Kyle says:

Out of you starting 11, I have 8 of those same guys in my starting 11. Amazing that people can get this much separation in this contest.

2. bioedenhazard says:

Strong team. Tadic is due attacking returns.

3. Steven says:

Hi, I have a dilemna. Valdes is out until sept10. Do I just field Jakupovic v Man U and hope he makes a few saves? Or do I trade and cop a -4? Here is my team if you are there Liam could you have a look pls? Also, should I be considering a WC?

Jakupovic (Valdes)
    Walker, Shaw, Souare (Evans, B Smith)
    Fer, KDB, Townsend, Redmond, Barkley
    Ibra, Kun (Austin)

0.7 in the bank.

4. Philip says:

Yeesh. Siggy subbed off at 58 mins. Is it time to move on from him? Swansea looks poor to start the year.

5. MCWizards says:

Penalty misses from both Mahrez ans Baines and also Cabaye missing for Palace… Not a food night. All my attackers blankes against mostly bottom 5 opposition, at home, really dissapointing.

6. The Swan and Paedo says:

Oh dear my team has died on me.

Firstly, do I wildcard this lot:

Heaton/Robinson

Shaw-Stones-Friend-Mcauley-Amat

Firmino-Oscar-Tadic-Townsend-Clayton

Aguero-Zlatan-Lukaku

0.0 itb

I can’t see a why to make this team unsh*t without a -12 or worse. Here are my issues:

1. Is Hazard basically essential? It sure feels like it

2. Is Arsenal coverage essential and if so it’s surely Ozil right?

3. Do we give up on Tadic? The amount of pens this week makes me hesitant but is just a constant tease.

4. Do we give up on Townsend? I think so but their fixtures remain brilliant

5. Is playing Capoue as a 4th mid a viable option? Apparently he was on corners yesterday and can clearly score plus their fixtures clear up in a couple of weeks

6. How on earth do we fit in Liverpool coverage? They look amazing going forward but it feels like Kun/Zlatan/Hazard/Arsenal foursome is strongly needed and there’s no way to fit in a Mane/Firmino

7. Is Bolasie an option? Did he look good yesterday?

• stevenfsexton says:

in response to q4 palace are cooked mate…they havent scored a goal yet…even with tekkers this week…give them one more week

IMO..

1. No, his fixtures in a couple weeks time take a turn for the worse, this can give the slot up to teams with better fixtures.

2. I didn’t see the game but arsenal have great fixtures coming up. I’d rather Sanchez but ozil will have to do as there’s not enough funds

3. Might be ideal if you can rid the week of a bad fixture. I got him, I can’t, and I’m holding for another two weeks by the look of it. Not the worst placeholder, but will always strongly consider dropping if his price is dropping

4. Townsend is total mixed bag. Great fixtures but is he could be a little too expensive for someone who is enabling an ozil to Sanchez. CPL aren’t going great are they?

5. yes actually in a couple weeks time. Nice find, did not see. With the corners hes just good enough option. At least he gets 2points 😅

6. Can’t fit, and I wouldn’t be able to tell who’s going to fire out of the 3 Liv mids either. Mane looked like getting in good spots last night. Rather not make the decision and avoid 😆

7. Didn’t see bolasie. Didn’t get enough bps tho from a glance.

• Liam says:

Typically if I need five or so transfers a Wildcard is justified.

Stones eye injury doubt, Friend muscle injury doubt, Mahrez missing penalty = off penalties needs to go, Gray facing FA suspension has to go, Aguero facing FA suspension for elbow might have to go, Tadic & Ramirez failing to get points might have to go, horrible performance from Amat on the chopping block.

I am fully justified in pulling the trigger on my wildcard this week.

1. Yes I think he is at that price tag with penalties and increased threat.

2. I would advise Ozil as he is good value and consistent (Sanchez tends to be explosive and irregular).

3. Its a bit like Harry Kane last season blanked in the first 10 weeks then killed it. His at an awkward price is playing well but his team isn’t in great form. Will be worth having at some point this season, right now doesn’t seem appropriate as he drops in price.

4. His game style is not overly productive but his flashy. He appears in front of your eyes as a delightfully talented player. Not great value at 6.5 I would look elsewhere.

5. He is a great budget enabler, unsure of him as 4th mid depends on your team strategy.

6. I disagree I don’t think they are amazing at the current time, they have the potential to be but have not yet proven it. There shooting is currently extremely inefficient and they are a team which will most likely finish between 5th and 8th.

Its a bit like waiting to Ozil hits form I am going to wait until a Liverpool option stands out. I thought it was Coutinho but his hamstrings are a concern.

I am looking towards Sterling in this moment a player who players for an ultra attacking team capable of winning the league, buckets of potential and underpriced.

7. Bolasie is a bit like Townsend his fast, skilful and generally flashy but his shooting on goal is not great at all. I think he will be a good player for Everton and I consider him better value and a better option then Townsend overall.

• The Swan and Paedo says:

Cheers for your replies.

The Stones/Aguero situation has forced me into WCing so don’t have to worry about morons like Townsend anymore.

Would be good for you guys to do a post on wildcard strategy because I think a LOT of people will be pulling the trigger this week, especially if Kun gets a ban.

http://www.rotowire.com/soccer/injuries.htm This site also is amazing for helping with injuries

That Holgate fella will be out for Coleman next game week won’t he?
    He’s about to rise but I think he’s a trap